English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Jdsk

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
Cowsham wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 10:55am ............... for some reason I have trouble with the word "celebrity". I want to say "cel-leb-ber-rat-y"
Or "cel-leb-er-rit-tary" and have to think carefully before I say the word. I'm not the only one either -- I hear tv presenters saying it all sorts of daft ways.
Simple really.
Sell-ebb ritty.
In RP there's no gap between the -b- and the -r-. It's -bri-.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 1:39pm
Mick F wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
Cowsham wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 10:55am ............... for some reason I have trouble with the word "celebrity". I want to say "cel-leb-ber-rat-y"
Or "cel-leb-er-rit-tary" and have to think carefully before I say the word. I'm not the only one either -- I hear tv presenters saying it all sorts of daft ways.
Simple really.
Sell-ebb ritty.
In RP there's no gap between the -b- and the -r-. It's -bri-.

Jonathan
Ye see controversy already!
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ah... controversy! OK when written but self-referential when spoken.

; - )

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Peddling, instead of pedalling.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

The stuff Americans say like "preezentation".
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 11:38am Somebody once told me that all consonants are separated by vowels in Japanese (and if you can find an exception eg Datsun, it's because some Japanese consonants need two when represented in Roman script.)
I believe it is true that Japanese syllables are always consonant-vowel. In which Datsun as pronounced in Japanese is probably Da-tsu-n[vowel]. The [vowel] at the end might even be schwa! But just as likely it isn't. And equally likely I'm simply wrong about this.

English allows more complex syllables with blocks of consonants and occasionally of vowels. So the word 'English' is vowel-consonant consonant-vowel-consonant ('ng' and 'sh' are each one consonant sound despite requiring two letters to write) and the word 'consonant' is consonant-vowel-consonant consonant-vowel-consonant vowel-consonant-consonant. With variations depending exactly where you consider each syllable to start and end...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 12:34pm
thirdcrank wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 11:38am Somebody once told me that all consonants are separated by vowels in Japanese (and if you can find an exception eg Datsun, it's because some Japanese consonants need two when represented in Roman script.)
I believe it is true that Japanese syllables are always consonant-vowel. In which Datsun as pronounced in Japanese is probably Da-tsu-n[vowel]. The [vowel] at the end might even be schwa! But just as likely it isn't. And equally likely I'm simply wrong about this.
They can end with a nasal consonant.

And doubled consonants have a special mark and a slight modification to the sound and rhythm.

Jonathan

Ps: You can watch the preference appear when foreign words are imported into Japanese. And in mock-Japanese spoken by comic actors, although of course that's less common than it was. (Oh yes it is!)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 5:46pm Ah... controversy! OK when written but self-referential when spoken.

; - )

Jonathan
Or better sung

Do I believe in God ? Do I believe in me?

CON--TRO--VERS--Y
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 12:38pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 12:34pm
They can end with a nasal consonant.

And doubled consonants have a special mark and a slight modification to the sound and rhythm.

Jonathan

Ps: You can watch the preference appear when foreign words are imported into Japanese. And in mock-Japanese spoken by comic actors, although of course that's less common than it was. (Oh yes it is!)
:)
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Slowtwitch wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 12:44am Peddling, instead of pedalling.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Peddling really gets my goat - it doesn't even look right on the page!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Slowtwitch wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:11am
Slowtwitch wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 12:44am Peddling, instead of pedalling.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It does if you think pedal is spelled peddle though. :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 1:05am
Slowtwitch wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:11am
It does if you think pedal is spelled peddle though. :D
Or you're Del boy
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Can't help; on the occasions I listen to Classic FM it, and more particularly the adverts, does my head in!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Increasingly I'm seeing adjectives and even prefixes used in the wrong order, e.g. a headline about Bertie Ahearn I saw the other day describing him as "the ex-Irish PM". Just plain no. He didn't stop being Irish, he stopped being PM, so he's the Irish ex-PM.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/gramma ... ives-order
Have we got time for another cuppa?