Page 50 of 50

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 5:43pm
by Cyril Haearn
Been working with Americans again, learnt a new phrase, typically in a mail:
'Bryn, please *reach out* to soandso'

New one on me, what does it mean, where does it come from?

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 6:01pm
by cyclemad
this may have been mentioned so apologies to those concerned.....but what really grinds my gears is the use of the word LIKE.....in every full / part sentence.......WHY ??????????????????

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 8:11pm
by Bmblbzzz
Cyril Haearn wrote:Been working with Americans again, learnt a new phrase, typically in a mail:
'Bryn, please *reach out* to soandso'

New one on me, what does it mean, where does it come from?

Contact, communicate with, send an email to...

cyclemad wrote:this may have been mentioned so apologies to those concerned.....but what really grinds my gears is the use of the word LIKE.....in every full / part sentence.......WHY ??????????????????

Because we're like not sure.

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 20 Sep 2019, 5:33am
by Cyril Haearn
I hate the phrase 'stick to the speed limit'
'Keep comfortably below the maximum speed limit' is the right phrase

When I used to drive I did the latter, Constable Sargent once spotted me going especially slowly, he followed me home for a few words
Quite proud of that :wink:
Or should I be ashamed that I took his time that could have been used dealing with speeding criminals?

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 20 Sep 2019, 9:19am
by Audax67
"Stick to" has been around for at least 150 years.

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 20 Sep 2019, 9:28am
by DaveReading
Audax67 wrote:"Stick to" has been around for at least 150 years.

Quite so.

"Stick to" is a synonym for "adhere", one of whose meanings is "to continue to obey a rule or have a belief".

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 20 Sep 2019, 9:45am
by Vorpal
I think bryn's point was more along the lines that a speed limit is a maximum, rather than a target.

'stick to' the speed limit sounds like staying as close as possible.

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Posted: 20 Sep 2019, 7:16pm
by Cyril Haearn
Sticking to the cliff edge might be worth a try if one is unsure what the word means :?

People understand words variously, one should try to use correct language when discussing speeding crime, just as one tries to avoid using sexist or racist language