Mars Bar advert Advertising complaint

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
TonyR

Re: Mars Bar advert Advertising complaint

Post by TonyR »

Tonyf33 wrote:Cycling like a mad man down hill on an ill equipped bike suitable only for a child after previously exiting a driveway without looking
Cycling at speed within inches of workmen with no regard to their safety
Stunt jump within inches of workmen undercutting past traffic with no ability to brake at the speeds being shown so any vehicle/person hidden from sight by the roadwork vehicle in shot there could be a collision.
Racing recklessly amongst other cyclists
I guess that you all feel this is acceptable behaviour by someone on a bike, it matters that it's an advert, it's not 'entertainment' if what is being shown involves breaking the law several times over putting others at danger of injury through reckless and dangerous cycling then it's wrong.

I've got that strange feeling of déjà vu again.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Whilst I can see Tonyf33's point,I suspect the vast majority of people would see this advert as a bit of surreal silliness to sell chocolate.
That doesn't make the antics right,but does put them in perspective.

Edited for typo
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Jan 2016, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:In the USA there is a fashion for "coaster brakes" where back pedalling brakes the rear wheel...... so that makes braking on two wheels

Yes, those are back-pedal brakes.

Reminds me of a past experience. Many years ago, my then fiancée (now Mrs P) and I were holidaying on the island of Cos, and, a bit weary of lying on the beach all day and every day, we decided one day to hire a couple a bikes and make our way to the interior of the island, which is quite hilly. The only bikes we could get had coaster brakes on the rear hubs, with no front brakes whatever. Well, we got up into the hills no problem, but on the way back, going down steep and mostly unmade roads of loose gravel, with only coaster brakes to check our speed, was a particularly hairy experience which I certainly wouldn't want to repeat! :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
irc

Post by irc »

reohn2 wrote:Whilst I can see Tonyf33's point,I suspect the vast majority of people would see this advert as a bit of surreal silliness to sell chocolate.
That doesn't make the antics right,but does put them in perspective.

Correct. It obviously was not portraying everyday cycling. We didn't try to ban the episode of Some Mother Do Have Them where Frank Spencer roller skates under an HGV because it was reckless did we? People can tell the difference between adverts and comedy and real life.
Si

Post by Si »

As that advert that showed two people whacking a cyclist with a big fish as they drove past wasn't depicting real life. :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Si wrote:As that advert that showed two people whacking a cyclist with a big fish as they drove past wasn't depicting real life. :lol:

Why did the cyclist have a big fish?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tonyf33 wrote:Cycling like a mad man down hill on an ill equipped bike suitable only for a child after previously exiting a driveway without looking
Cycling at speed within inches of workmen with no regard to their safety
Stunt jump within inches of workmen undercutting past traffic with no ability to brake at the speeds being shown so any vehicle/person hidden from sight by the roadwork vehicle in shot there could be a collision.
Racing recklessly amongst other cyclists
I guess that you all feel this is acceptable behaviour by someone on a bike, it matters that it's an advert, it's not 'entertainment' if what is being shown involves breaking the law several times over putting others at danger of injury through reckless and dangerous cycling then it's wrong.

Cycling like a mad man?
He was cycling fairly quickly, but how does mental health affect the way you cycle? And how do you know he didn't look, we didn't see him on the driveway (assuming that wasn't a junction, we never see the driveway!

Within inches of workmen?
He's behind a physical barrier, their safety is quite well looked after.

Stunt jumping?
Do you just plough into potholes?

Undercutting traffic? It's called filtering, and you are certain he can't brake? You might be surprised how good some kids bikes are at stopping.

Racing recklessly?
He certainly seems to be cycling a bit faster than some of the other commuters, that's called traffic, you're slower than some and faster than some....

Breaking the law several times?
U.K. Law requires at least one effective brake on a small bike, possibly this would need two - we have no evidence to suggest it doesn't comply. Can't think of much else in the usage regs he could have been breaking. As for actions, I can't see any obvious traffic violations...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cliffyboy1962

Post by cliffyboy1962 »

Seriously ? It's just an advert. I think the OP needs to stop worrying so much.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

cliffyboy1962 wrote:Seriously ? It's just an advert. I think the OP needs to stop worrying so much.

I always assumed the OP started this as a humorous thread. I never assumed it was serious...b
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I always assumed the OP started this as a humorous thread. I never assumed it was serious...b

Me neither. But as I said before, if I have any problem, it's with the advertising of Mars bars in the first place, not the content of the advert.

One saving grace is that this advert appears to be targeted more at adults than children. An adult is more likely to see the funny side of it. I, like many other people, do get worried about the incessant advertising of sugary sweets and snacks targeting children. Yes I used to enjoy the occasional mars, but not for years now. Not once I looked up the sugar content - a whopping 60%.

Now I use the the mars bar statistics as an analogy when someone on a phony dieting website wants to talk me out of eating healthy, albeit high-calorie, foods like olives and avocados.

If you do happen to be addicted to this gooey, over-sweetened, cloyingly sticky sweetmeat, try the following. Think: what does a mars bar closely resemble? Then (if you have a strong enough stomach - and not after a meal please!) seek out that infamous snippet of video* depicting drag actor 'Divine' picking - *something* - off the street and eating it. Then see if you can still face up to a mars....

*I'm not going to seek out any links, but you'll probably find it on the 'tube...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:..... I, like many other people, do get worried about the incessant advertising of sugary sweets and snacks targeting children. Yes I used to enjoy the occasional mars, but not for years now. Not once I looked up the sugar content - a whopping 60%. ....

So presumably when you did enjoy a Mars bar on occasion,you wouldn't have seen any problem with the advertising of them? :wink:
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:So presumably when you did enjoy a Mars bar on occasion,you wouldn't have seen any problem with the advertising of them? :wink:

Probably not. We're always learning from past mistakes, aren't we?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:So presumably when you did enjoy a Mars bar on occasion,you wouldn't have seen any problem with the advertising of them? :wink:

Probably not. We're always learning from past mistakes, aren't we?

:wink:
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Now I've read this thread I quite fancy a Mars bar. Now where're my bike to pop down the shops...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Ben@Forest wrote:Now I've read this thread I quite fancy a Mars bar. Now where're my bike to pop down the shops...

It's at the bike shop getting it's front tyre repaired. Unfortunately after I nicked it and did a 360 jump through the local playschool dinner area and narrowly missing the little blonde haired girls barbie doll house, I landed front wheel first and snake bite punctured it. But at least I acheived an avg speed of 25mph darting between customers in the fish aisle at the local Morrisons :)
The bad news is that the lbs owner said the pink tassles were a choking hazard and had to remove them. Sorry :(
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.