Mars Bar advert Advertising complaint

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Flinders

Re: Mars Bar advert Advertising complaint

Post by Flinders »

in New Zealand, where I think this was filmed, children's bikes have to have the rear brake as a back-pedal brake

Why? On the face of it that sounds dangerous to me. (I admit I never rode as a child so I may be missing some good reason, I'd just like to know......)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pedal forwards to go forwards, pedal back to stop. It makes sense.

And stops kids pedalling backwards....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Flinders wrote:
in New Zealand, where I think this was filmed, children's bikes have to have the rear brake as a back-pedal brake

Why? On the face of it that sounds dangerous to me. (I admit I never rode as a child so I may be missing some good reason, I'd just like to know......)

I grew riding them, and actually, I think they are safer, for two reasons. First, kids are less likely to disable them, so almost all kids bikes when I was growing up had at least one working brake :shock:

Also, performance doesn't deteriorate in the rain, which is an especial advangtage when it comes to cheap kids bikes, with cheap caliper brakes on steel rims.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I don't mind the cycling, or eating them, but I despise the fact that it says "Mars" on the wrapper, its propaganda.

:)
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Vorpal wrote:I thought it was cleverly done. And in New Zealand, where I think this was filmed, children's bikes have to have the rear brake as a back-pedal brake.

I always wondered how the bicycle in the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" scene stopped. It had no brake levers and it wasn’t a fixie – the cranks didn’t turn when Paul Newman’s feet were off the pedals...

[youtube]S2OdPDEG6aQ[/youtube]

Also, you can see and hear the rear wheel freewheeling after it topples over into a puddle in its very last scene, where Butch takes it by the saddle and pushes it off down the track with the immortal line, “Future’s all yours, you lousy bicycle!” The bicycle is portrayed metaphorically throughout the movie as ‘The Future’, representing the beginning of the end of the old West (although given the gun laws in the States - or lack of - maybe not yet...). :roll: :(

A fellow on Bike Forums with a more educated eye than me solved the mystery just recently – it had a coaster brake; you can see the brake reaction arm under the left chainstay in this photo...

millimole

Post by millimole »

Flinders wrote:

My teenage touring of UK & France was on a three speed hub with a coaster hub ( I bought the bike from a man with one hand!) and I've recently built up a BitsaBike with a SA coaster hub - they are splendid brakes, but do take a bit of getting used to!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Manc33 wrote:I don't mind the cycling, or eating them, but I despise the fact that it says "Mars" on the wrapper, its propaganda.

They should carry a health warning :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Manc33 wrote:I don't mind the cycling, or eating them, but I despise the fact that it says "Mars" on the wrapper, its propaganda.

Its not even as if it comes from Mars :roll:
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Mars bars should have a "Did you know..." information thing on the back of the wrapper.

It could say something like "Did you know you can correct NASA's official Mars images back to neutral and see that the images are taken on Earth, probably in Greenland? Try it in Photoshop or just Google Mars corrected images."

Imagine it. That's not Mars bar, that's a miracle bar.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

NEWS BREAK!

ELVIS IS ALIVE!
Manc33 has him locked in a closet!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

That doesn't work, its a strawman argument. :P

Elvis isn't provably alive but NASA's Mars images can provably be corrected back to neutral again.

Imagine this conversation:

Man A: "My car can do 128 MPH if I really push it"
Man B: "Sure and I bet it runs on kryptonite too haw haw haw"

What would you even think of what the second guy said, taking into account that the first guy was being accurate in what he said?

The second guy saying that would probably get a few frowns directed his way simply for reacting that way to what is just basic information.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Manc33 wrote:Mars bars should have a "Did you know..." information thing on the back of the wrapper.

It could say something like "Did you know you can correct NASA's official Mars images back to neutral and see that the images are taken on Earth, probably in Greenland? Try it in Photoshop or just Google Mars corrected images."

Imagine it. That's not Mars bar, that's a miracle bar.

Well, I did google "Mars corrected images" (I know, I just can't resist it). There's a lot of stuff about why NASA muck about with the colour balance of the images they collect, and have done, in an inconsistent manner, for a long time. The conspiracy theorists tend towards the view that they don't want to reveal a lot of green stuff. I didn't spend long on it, but I didn't find anyone except a few of the usual Youtube nutters alleging that the images weren't actually taken on Mars and no one alleging that Mars (as the rest of us know it) doesn't even exist.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm still trying to get my head around this whole thread :?
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

reohn2 wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around this whole thread :?

A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play. :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around this whole thread :?

A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play. :mrgreen:

Work's just a four letter word to a retired gentleman of leisure such as myself,so if we can just leave out the swearing please :P
W H Auden