RIP OFF ITEMS

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
DarkNewt

RIP OFF ITEMS

Post by DarkNewt »

Hi all I thought it might be fun to list some items that are a serious rip off for what they are, you know what I mean! that accessory for something you have bought that is almost as much as the main item but you have to pay it because they are the only ones who produce it.. i.e. no competition:

I will get the ball rolling with:

Garmin Virb remote - button shaped remote starts and stops camera etc £40... not including the various rip off mounts or straps for it....
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Redvee

Re: RIP OFF ITEMS

Post by Redvee »

DarkNewt wrote:Hi all I thought it might be fun to list some items that are a serious rip off for what they are, you know what I mean! that accessory for something you have bought that is almost as much as the main item but you have to pay it because they are the only ones who produce it.. i.e. no competition:

I will get the ball rolling with:

Garmin Virb remote - button shaped remote starts and stops camera etc £40... not including the various rip off mounts or straps for it....

Never really saw the point of that as I have two other Garmin devices that does that job. My Edge 810 can be set to start the camera recording when I press start and my Vivosmart can do the same. You can also link several Garmin cameras so once turned on you only need to start recording on the master and the slaves will respond.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A subject of today for me, are car wiper blades.

All three on our Fiat 500 were getting perished and needed replacing. The standard thing to do is to buy a whole set of assemblies maybe £30 a set. Complete rip off.

I'd rather just replace the rubbers.
I bought a pack of these:
http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/accessorie ... 28/#search
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:A subject of today for me, are car wiper blades.

All three on our Fiat 500 were getting perished and needed replacing. The standard thing to do is to buy a whole set of assemblies maybe £30 a set. Complete rip off.

You can often extend the life of these things with an overnight soak in water with a little fairy liquid in it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Bottled water.
Shower gell.
My ex-wife
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Velcro
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bonefishblues wrote:Velcro

I like velcro :)

I have a bag of velcro strips from the £ shop that I use to clamp my brakes on the tandem, or for parking the bike with a trailer attached.

But each to his own. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Boyd wrote:Bottled water.
Shower gell.
My ex-wife

this should not be funny but it is :D
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:A subject of today for me, are car wiper blades.

My advise after buying blades that wont sit down on the screen.
I only use Bosch, yet it appears that they don't do refills?
Ebay UK delivery, look for 99% feedback.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

£43 at seat dealer for a set of front wipers. I replace the whole assembly because the frame for the rubber blades start to fail when the rubber does IME.

I had to go to the dealer because Halfords and local motor factors don't sell the wiper blade. Only local place to get them and we needed them quickly. I've not even looked for the rear wipers yet but they're needing replacing.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:£43 at seat dealer for a set of front wipers. I replace the whole assembly because the frame for the rubber blades start to fail when the rubber does IME.

I had to go to the dealer because Halfords and local motor factors don't sell the wiper blade. Only local place to get them and we needed them quickly. I've not even looked for the rear wipers yet but they're needing replacing.

Eurocarparts or Carparts4less and one of their many unrepeatable offers may be the solution
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 15 Feb 2017, 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Duty on beer.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

And cider!
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

And malt whisky