Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Cyril Haearn

Re: Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Eselsbruecken, donkey bridges, help one to remember things, one notes a key word, name, colour or place to link up

Someone trying to learn Polish told me she used sayings, they are similar in different languages, for example "you may lead a horse to water, but you cannae make her drink"
Doubtless Polish horses behave the same so there is an equivalent phrase
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm trying to re-learn Spanish. Mainly because we're planning a South America trip next year. My son recommended the duolingo site for free on-line learning, but it ain't easy! So many words forgotten. But if I make progress, it'll be a benefit.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:"you may lead a horse to water, but you cannae make her drink"
Well - Google translate offers:
"Możesz doprowadzić konia do wody, ale nie możesz go wypić"
but I seriously doubt whether that makes any sense - let alone being idiomatic!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I'm trying to re-learn Spanish. Mainly because we're planning a South America trip next year. My son recommended the duolingo site for free on-line learning, but it ain't easy! So many words forgotten. But if I make progress, it'll be a benefit.

I play my Welsh cassettes when cooking, you could play Spanish when driving too, or even when sleeping maybe
Then you will "get wet" and the language will seep into your brain with little effort
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reading is good, reading aloud is better, I think it activates or connects different parts of the brain

I recorded a whole legend, played it back, trying to learn it by heart
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

I'm 65 in a few months ....it's not my brain I need to keep alive it's my body .....I harvested a truck load of grapes to day , then gave them the first treading ....leave over night and tread again ....Its not even nine a clock here and I'm pole axed ....shower, glass or two of the house red ...and bed ....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fixerupper wrote:I'm 65 in a few months ....it's not my brain I need to keep alive it's my body .....I harvested a truck load of grapes to day , then gave them the first treading ....leave over night and tread again ....Its not even nine a clock here and I'm pole axed ....shower, glass or two of the house red ...and bed ....

Do you tread them with your feet? What about learning Greek to keep your brain going?
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

Yes I tread them wearing wellington boots in the back of the truck ....and yes learning Greek stretches the brain muscles ...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts to work when one gets up in the morning, and does not stop until one gets to work"

If one no longer goes to work, the brain just keeps working, right?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My grandchildren are now all at school and occupy a bit less of my time. Before they were born, I used to do Volunteer Reading Help (VRH) in a local school. By coincidence, I'm starting volunteering again at my grandchildren's primary school this afternoon.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Almost a year since my first answer to this thread, my plans have changed a bit. I've stopped writing my routing program since Google changed their business model and ICBA learning another system; also, I'm not aiming at 1000k rides any more so those that already exist are sufficient. While I still intend to make electric stringed instruments and this might include "real" guitars, I've been getting my hand in building 3-string cigar-box guitars. Two done so far and a third nearing completion. Been learning a lot about guitar electronics, neck break angles (wasn't wearing a helmet, poor dear), resonators, pentatonic blues scales, etc. Fascinating and fun, and since the materials are cheap - mostly scrap - I can fubar away to my heart's content and no grief.

At the same time Mrs A. has been writing a scientific memoir on ageing and exercise, mostly for her running group. For months she's been driving me potty* with answers beginning "As we get older..." every time I mention a minor muscle pain or some such. Oh, she's also learning Classical Greek.

* no, dear, I went before lunch
Have we got time for another cuppa?
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Cyril Haearn wrote:"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts to work when one gets up in the morning, and does not stop until one gets to work"

If one no longer goes to work, the brain just keeps working, right?

I'll have to think about this :idea:

Malc (retired but with part time job)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

At 69 Ive been retired for few years now and still dont have enough time to try everything I want to do before death comes knocking. I walk, cycle, every day as well as the indoor bike when its just too wet/windy/icy to get out.
I read all the books that piled up when I was working full time. I meet regularly with friends for looooooooong lunches!
I write, listen, spend time in silence reflecting on life, the universe and everything else.
I’m a counsellor so spend time with people needing a discerning ear.
I go to the local university to help PHD psychology students with their various research topics by being a guinea pig usually.
I belong to various online groups that allow me to access recent research about science, the brain etc etc.
I don’t really have time to think about how to keep my brain active, I’m busy enjoying this amazing life with husband, and family.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

On wykedpia one may call up a random article, great way to learn things one never wanted to learn :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reading a book in German, translating in my head and uttering the result in English, I can feel my brain warming up %=)