Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
ferrit worrier

Re: Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Post by ferrit worrier »

Certainly Cyril :D

below is the engine shed being constructed from styrene strip and sheet the base of brick is built up from two thick layers of card and is fixed to the base board the upper part of the shed is removable... (I hope :lol: )
engine shed3.1.JPG

next is the shed being covered in the sheet with faux corrugated sheets.

engine shed 3.2.JPG

looking down the station towards the loco shed in the far right. appologies picture is a bit fuzzy but you can see the general layout the railway runs down the left hand side round the back of the engine shed across the wall all single track then back up the right hand side of the loft

purlin valley1.JPG
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Very good, I like the trackwork, I take photos of junctions, double-slips, perfect geometry and patterns
4'8.5" track I mean :wink:
The zigzag patterns of catenaries are interesting too, the wires are typically a few hundred meters long, might be difficult to get a 400-mile copper wire to stretch from Glasgow to London :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Very good, I like the trackwork, I take photos of junctions, double-slips, perfect geometry and patterns
4'8.5" track I mean :wink:
The zigzag patterns of catenaries are interesting too, the wires are typically a few hundred meters long, might be difficult to get a 400-mile copper wire to stretch from Glasgow to London :?

under this side of the layout is slightly over 600yds of 7/.02mm
below is the underside of the second baseboard, on the left can be seen two "D" plugs that connect it to the controller. all the separate boards plug directly into the control panel just visible in the main picture. The other side of the loft has its own control panel while the small staion and yard in between can be controlled from either
underside baseboard 2.1.JPG

The zig zag pattern of catenery wire is to avoid localised wear on the pantograph. We have the Manchester metro link not far from us and the zig zag is quite pronounced of that I'll guess it's about 12" or 300 mm over 50M

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout voluntary work to keep brain and body active?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Apart from riding my bike and modifying them, create stuff with my Paintshop Pro 2018 photo editor. I've spent a lot of time learning the things it can do. 'Layers' is a tricky part, at first, and things like putting text above and below a circle so that it's all the right way up. And learning to put certain people behind bars... prison bars, that is.

3 in jail.png
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Another example of my art. It keeps me amused for ages.

a box.jpg
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Lot of truth in that...

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......