How to fix your washing machine

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Graham

How to fix your washing machine

Post by Graham »

. . . particularly if it is causing you some distress . . . .

https://youtu.be/f_YbBqpbIiI
gaz

Re: How to fix your washing machine

Post by gaz »

My washing machine manual says:
Problem: The machine vibrates noticeably.
Solution: Ensure that the transportation screws have been removed during installation.

Guessing he should have checked the manual.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Graham wrote:. . . particularly if it is causing you some distress . . . .

I'm not sure why, but I laughed like a maniac, watching that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:

I'm not sure why, but I laughed like a maniac, watching that.

Only a maniac would laugh at that :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

He didn't put any washing powder in :?

PS, Mrs R2 wants to know what make the machine is,if she finds out she says it'll be our next buy.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:He didn't put any washing powder in :?

PS, Mrs R2 wants to know what make the machine is,if she finds out she says it'll be our next buy.

I think the logo is Whirlpool, but I'm not 100% certain. I'm sure you could figure it out by googling images for logos on white goods.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:He didn't put any washing powder in :?

I think the logo is Whirlpool, but I'm not 100% certain. I'm sure you could figure it out by googling images for logos on white goods.

I'll give it a whirl.... :wink:
W H Auden
Graham

Post by Graham »

Wanton destruction . . .

I laughed like a maniac too . . . and don't understand why it's so funny.

It was a Whirlpool. Other makes are available.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham wrote:Wanton destruction . . .

I laughed like a maniac too . . . and don't understand why it's so funny.

It was a Whirlpool. Other makes are available.

There's somkind of wickedness in man/womankind :? :wink:

Thinks...... .......I wonder if a politrickian who doesn't fulfil their promises would fit in the drum :shock: :mrgreen:
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Friend unintentionally did something similar with a bivvy bag, it was full of water when it went into the spin cycle. No mechanical harm done, but took a decent chunk out of the wall and cosmetic damage to the machine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Some years ago, one of our cats brought a mouse in, and lost it somewhere in the kitchen. Weeks later, we noticed tell-tale mouse droppings and once or twice saw the little critter. We found that it had set up home in the washing machine internals.

I pulled the machine out and took the back off, but couldn't catch the bugger. It had built a nest on to of the stabilising concrete block and must have been deafened by the noise on full spin, but there it was ......... perfectly at home inside the machine!

I had to put the back back on and take the machine outside and remove the back again, and hope the mouse would run off. It eventually did, thank goodness.

Maybe I should have connected the spin motor directly to the mains to vibrate and scare it out. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
John1054

Post by John1054 »

I wish that I hadn't looked at this topic, our 22 year old washing machine has finished its' useful service today. Goodbye old friend - haven't the heart to spin a lump of metal. :( :( :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

John1054 wrote:I wish that I hadn't looked at this topic, our 22 year old washing machine has finished its' useful service today. Goodbye old friend - haven't the heart to spin a lump of metal. :( :( :(

Ours wasn't quite so old, but I repaired it twice before we gave up and bought a new one. It doesn't take much more than a selection of YouTube videos and a bit of mechanical aptitude. The first thing that went wrong was the motor brushes. They were easy to replace. The worst part was the partial disassembly required to get to the motor. The second thing that went wrong is a couple of bolts broke. I hadn't touched them doing the motor brushes, and it looked like a fatigue failure, so I figured it was just age &/or marginal design.

The last time, one of the weights cracked. I couldn't find a replacement, and I wasn't confident of getting the weight and centre of gravity correct with a DIY solution.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Vorpal wrote:
John1054 wrote:I wish that I hadn't looked at this topic, our 22 year old washing machine has finished its' useful service today. Goodbye old friend - haven't the heart to spin a lump of metal. :( :( :(

Ours wasn't quite so old, but I repaired it twice before we gave up and bought a new one. It doesn't take much more than a selection of YouTube videos and a bit of mechanical aptitude. The first thing that went wrong was the motor brushes. They were easy to replace. The worst part was the partial disassembly required to get to the motor. The second thing that went wrong is a couple of bolts broke. I hadn't touched them doing the motor brushes, and it looked like a fatigue failure, so I figured it was just age &/or marginal design.

The last time, one of the weights cracked. I couldn't find a replacement, and I wasn't confident of getting the weight and centre of gravity correct with a DIY solution.

Modern machines are not as fixable. If the drum mountings go, that's it. that being said, they do use a lot less water, which means you don't need as much detergent. And the spin cycle is better even on the no frills ones nowadays. My Bosch Maxx has a max spin of 1400- worth it for cycle kit, which of course you can't tumble dry. but don't expect 22 years out of them. A weak point of modern machines is the door seals which can go mouldy. The trick is to always open the door and detergent compartment when you've taken the clothes out and leave to dry. Also my machine always leaves a little water in the detergent compartment which I religiously enter out. I use Dettol laundry cleanser in my washes (other cheapo copies are available) and regularly use a machine cleaner to keep the bugs at bay. I use a supermarket non-bio powder as my skin won't tolerate bio powders. Works for me..
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The funniest YouTube video I've ever seen! :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden