Brake maintenance - 20 questions.

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
gaz

Brake maintenance - 20 questions.

Post by gaz »

I've spent the morning working on the commuter, a number of niggling little jobs including the front brake which has recently been somewhat lacking.

First job was the front brake, last job was ... the front brake. So what fault did I discover that meant I had to do the front brake again?

Yes/no answers only, how long until somebody gets it?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Re: Brake maintenance - 20 questions.

Post by rjb »

Headset bearings?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Did you true the front wheel?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

Yes (ish), definitely headset related (so much for yes/no only :wink: ).

No
rjb

Post by rjb »

Well that's narrowed down the possibilities but still room for finer detail.
I've been out in the garage retensioning the tandem timing chain having had it unshipped on a ride this morning. :( It needs some serious maintenance soon. :shock: Sounds like it's in a similar state to yours. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

The return springs on the front cantis weren't really doing what they're supposed to. A clean up, greasing of the pivots and a hunt through the box of bits for some different springs combined with some trial and error improved matters considerably.

Then I took off the chain and fitted a new one. First time of using quick-link pliers, a good investment. My initial assessment is that I'll get away without changing the cassette, I'll be sure after Monday's commute. The jockey wheels have seen better days, particularly the top one but I couldn't be bothered changing them today.

Next job was the headset, which has been coming a little loose over the last week or two. I'd been hand tightening the top cup in the morning and forgetting to get the spanners out to reset the locknut properly in the evening.

Having got the spanners out the lock nut wouldn't tighten. The cable hanger was at a most peculiar angle on the steerer with the front lower than the rear. Quill stem removed I tapped the hanger back into place. The lock nut wouldn't tighten, the threads had stripped.

Another search around the spares box found a different lock nut. The threaded length was deeper so I lifted the hanger and removed a spacer washer. Hanger replaced and everything finger tight I put the quill stem back in.

That's when I discovered the new lock nut was a 34mm. Do I have a 34mm headset spanner? Of course I don't.

Back to the spares box where I had the good fortune to find a 32mm lock nut that seems to have lost its seals but will do the job for now.

Once fitted it was back to adjusting the front brake to take account of the lower hanger. All's well that ends well.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lacking the time to do maintenance on all of our bikes, I have taken 3 to the shops in the last couple of weeks. Mini V is back to riding to school every day, despite barely above freezing morning temperatures.

The tandem is having a service, too, so Littlest and I can get back to going to music lessons by bike.

The tourer has had a service, and my commuter is next. I will do that one. Probably next week. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

never had to do the headset bearings.