Constantly?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Mick F
Spambuster

Constantly?

Postby Mick F » 3 Dec 2018, 10:31am

Out on a short ride this morning and dropped down into the lovely village of Calstock. Stopped by the river to chat to the ducks and to gawp at England across on the other side. :wink:

There's a sign to warn people not to park their cars on the slipway, and my pedantic brain sort of took exception to the wording on it.
IMG_0015.jpg
Calstock2.jpg

Constantly in use?
I was there maybe ten minutes and I never saw a soul anywhere in the village, let alone a car being driven or anyone using the slipway.
Should the sign have read "in use regularly" or "in use frequently"?
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth

Re: Constantly?

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Dec 2018, 11:20am

"Could be in use any time 24/7"

How stupid can one be, to park on a slipway? :? Mind, sometimes one sees a boat parked on the road, on a trailer
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Dec 2018, 2:39pm

24/7?
People in Calstock have difficulty with counting that high! :lol:

There's a pub there and people often park on the cobbles in front of the slipway. This Streetview image doesn't do it justice, but you can see the problem.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.49596 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall

BrightonRock

Postby BrightonRock » 7 Apr 2019, 5:47pm

Those ducks look a pretty constant feature. They're worth signage all on their own :D

rjb

Postby rjb » 7 Apr 2019, 8:20pm

Thats a timely thread resurection. I spent this afternoon digitising some 35mm slides as i expect the children to dump them when the time comes for them to sort our affairs. I speak from someone who had to do the same with our parents. :oops:
I came across these two from 35 years ago. Calstock quay and the railway viaduct viewed from Cothele gardens (NT).
You can see if they have changed at all on your next visit. :D
ps i am putting a selection of slides together on a cd, hope these things survive into the next decade or two.

Calstock.JPG
Cothele.JPG
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

rjb

Postby rjb » 7 Apr 2019, 8:35pm

Just looked at Micks link to streetview. How things have changed. It is Calstock Quay isnt it. Hope ive not got it wrong :oops:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Apr 2019, 8:48pm

There was obviously someone coming drektley.

Remember you are in Cornwall :lol:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 7 Apr 2019, 9:34pm

And if we're being really, really pedantic, there is no danger of the vehicle being towed as that is now unlawful as well, so they're threatneing to write cheques they can't cash. If you're gonna make threats they should at least be credible ones.

But i'm with you 110% about the whole "constantly" thing. I've told Mrs Dopestrong about it a million times.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 8 Apr 2019, 5:34am

I would not park on a slipway for fear the vehicle might roll away
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Apr 2019, 8:54am

It probably should read 'ACCESS REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES' or something to that effect. There used to be a sign at one place where I worked that read 'NO ACCESS TO PEDESTRIANS'. Of course, what they really meant was 'don't walk through here'. At the very least, it should have been 'no access for pedestrians. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Apr 2019, 9:10am

rjb wrote:Thats a timely thread resurection. I spent this afternoon digitising some 35mm slides as i expect the children to dump them when the time comes for them to sort our affairs. I speak from someone who had to do the same with our parents. :oops:

So we're all having a pedantic morning eh?

You have possessed someone who digitised your parents. I find that rather hard to believe. :D

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 8 Apr 2019, 10:46am

Mick F wrote:24/7?
People in Calstock have difficulty with counting that high! :lol:

There's a pub there and people often park on the cobbles in front of the slipway. This Streetview image doesn't do it justice, but you can see the problem.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.49596 ... 312!8i6656

They've seen fit to paint a yellow line around the bus stop on the cobbles: they need to extend it all the way along the riverward side of them rather than just on the carriageway.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

rjb

Postby rjb » 14 Apr 2019, 1:22pm

I thought I would bump this up to see if anyone can confirm if the pic I posted upthread is actually Calstock Quay. If it is the jibcrane has gone.

broadway

Postby broadway » 14 Apr 2019, 3:00pm