What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
skyhawk

Re: What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Post by skyhawk »

Mike Sales wrote:
skyhawk wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Expensive sun glasses. And overpriced polystyrene articles.

Well that's my Oakley Ferrari Carbon Fibres out then ;) £320.00 Yes I do have them :)

OOOPS......................

Rayband and Oakleys

Crikey, you must be flush.

No, I just retired at 60 and thought lets live a little before it's too late

It also helps to have been really poor and homeless as I was once, you appreciate life more
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:Back to the insatiable consumer society.

Steady on there comrade, you and I may not like it, but it is the way of the world and no alternatives are likely to be available till it's too late. Even if not a consumer, it's hard not to still be caught up in it, anyone with a private pension for example.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The OP's example highlights the case of a society with too much want and not enough need.

There's too much need as well, but by a different set of people, for different things.

Quite!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

skyhawk wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
skyhawk wrote:
Well that's my Oakley Ferrari Carbon Fibres out then ;) £320.00 Yes I do have them :)

OOOPS......................

Rayband and Oakleys

Crikey, you must be flush.

No, I just retired at 60 and thought lets live a little before it's too late

It also helps to have been really poor and homeless as I was once, you appreciate life more

I was homeless, unemployed under the Thatcher regime, my dole ran out before the end of the week
But I would not spend so much on sunglasses, and don't you live in Wales? :wink:
I do have quite a few books mind

Many of this parish have several or many expensive cycles, why? A famous footballer explained: 'I can only eat one steak, and drive one rolls'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
....Many of this parish have several or many expensive cycles, why? A famous footballer explained: 'I can only eat one steak, and drive one rolls'

Cos I wouldn’t ride my TT or mountain bikes to work and, whilst I enjoy riding my commuter, it’s not one I’d use on weekend club runs (of which I choose one of two depending on weather).
Syd

Post by Syd »

At the cheap end of the market its a bit of a lottery if sunglasses will offer any real protection against UV rays.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Garmin type gadgets, or anything electronic really. I like to keep things simple and cheap :D
Power to the pedals
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Syd wrote:

At the cheap end of the market its a bit of a lottery if sunglasses will offer any real protection against UV rays.

Fortunately in the UK and Europe the standards on sunglasses are very strict and insist that they block 99-100% of UV radiation. You can make sure that your sunglasses meet these standards by looking for the British and European standard markings on the label. Here on Trust Me, I’m A Doctor we tested a range of sunglasses belonging to the British public and found that almost all pairs offered good protection regardless of price. The only pair we found that didn’t block enough UV were purchased over the internet, so it’s important to remember that sunglasses bought online or from countries without strong regulations may not meet such high standards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/R3JrxPLjhGlDyYMhkxs73p/can-cheap-sunglasses-really-protect-my-eyes

PRIMARK £3

Good coverage: Primark sunglasses
UV protection: 100 per cent against UV rays below 400 nanometres

NEW LOOK £4.99

Decent: New Look
UV protection: 100 per cent

SUMMER LIVING 99p FROM 99p STORE

99p Shop sunglasses: A good shape, Jackie O-style

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2374185/Are-cheap-sunglasses-safe-We-asked-eye-expert-analyse-cut-price-shades.html

Sorry to reference the Daily Heil, but it is known for trying to make your flesh creep.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:

Fortunately in the UK and Europe the standards on sunglasses are very strict and insist that they block 99-100% of UV radiation. You can make sure that your sunglasses meet these standards by looking for the British and European standard markings on the label. Here on Trust Me, I’m A Doctor we tested a range of sunglasses belonging to the British public and found that almost all pairs offered good protection regardless of price. The only pair we found that didn’t block enough UV were purchased over the internet, so it’s important to remember that sunglasses bought online or from countries without strong regulations may not meet such high standards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/R3JrxPLjhGlDyYMhkxs73p/can-cheap-sunglasses-really-protect-my-eyes

PRIMARK £3

Good coverage: Primark sunglasses
UV protection: 100 per cent against UV rays below 400 nanometres

NEW LOOK £4.99

Decent: New Look

SUMMER LIVING 99p FROM 99p STORE

99p Shop sunglasses: A good shape, Jackie O-style

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2374185/Are-cheap-sunglasses-safe-We-asked-eye-expert-analyse-cut-price-shades.html

Sorry to reference the Daily Heil, but it is known for trying to make your flesh creep.

Having tested some, at random, whilst at work there are plenty of cheap ones our there that don’t offer protection and I’ve even seen fake standards compliance markings on some bought in the UK.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

"But I would not spend so much on sunglasses, and don't you live in Wales? :wink:"

?????

I used to wear glassers, for y e a r s, terrible, nothing worse when it rains and in summer having to wear reactolites, or similar.

When I finally found MONTHLY (change once a month) contacts, wearing sunglasses was fantastic, some people wear hundreds of pounds of cycling clothing and shoes, I wear £8 sports direct shorts and Oakley sun glassers :) :) :)
Last edited by skyhawk on 4 Aug 2019, 7:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Syd wrote:Having tested some, at random, whilst at work there are plenty of cheap ones our there that don’t offer protection and I’ve even seen fake standards compliance markings on some bought in the UK.

Were the cheap failures you tested CE marked?
Fake markings are known in many goods. They can be avoided by buying from established retailers, not market stalls.
Amazon and Primark have cheap sunglasses for sale.
As the BBC programme found, it is perfectly possible to find cheap sunglasses which meet the standards. Should not take much doing.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Back to the insatiable consumer society.

Steady on there comrade, you and I may not like it, but it is the way of the world and no alternatives are likely to be available till it's too late. Even if not a consumer, it's hard not to still be caught up in it, anyone with a private pension for example.

Could't be without my private pension which came in at 60 :) with a nice lump sum
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:Having tested some, at random, whilst at work there are plenty of cheap ones our there that don’t offer protection and I’ve even seen fake standards compliance markings on some bought in the UK.

Were the cheap failures you tested CE marked?
Fake markings are known in many goods. They can be avoided by buying from established retailers, not market stalls.
Amazon and Primark have cheap sunglasses for sale.
As the BBC programme found, it is perfectly possible to find cheap sunglasses which meet the standards. Should not take much doing.

It is also possible to wear £5 cycling shorts and shirts etc that are ok and do the same job so are you happy for everyone to wear them, no, each to their own, are Rolex watches pointless, why drive a Porsche when a Fiesta will do

This is interesting

Luxottica, has a monopoly

As a vertically integrated company, Luxottica designs, manufactures, distributes and retails its eyewear brands, including LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Apex by Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Eyemed vision care plan, and Glasses.com.

Its best known brands are Ray-Ban, Persol, and Oakley.

ONLY glassers made by Luxottica are allowed to be sold in Sunglass Hut and other outlets they own

Luxottica's two main product offerings are sunglasses and prescription frames. The company operates in two sectors: manufacturing & wholesale distribution, and retail distribution.

The house brands include the following

Alain Mikli
Arnette
Eye Safety Systems (ESS)
Oakley
Oliver Peoples
Persol
Ray-Ban
Sferoflex
Vogue Eyewear

The company also makes eyewear under license for the following designer labels:[32][33]

Giorgio Armani
Brooks Brothers
Bulgari
Burberry
Chanel
Coach
Dolce & Gabbana
Michael Kors
Miu Miu
Polo Ralph Lauren
Prada
Ralph Lauren
Starck Eyes
Tiffany & Co.
Tory Burch
Valentino[34]
Versace
These brands are sold in the company's own shops, as well as to independent distributors such as department stores, duty-free shops, and opticians.
Last edited by skyhawk on 4 Aug 2019, 7:52pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

skyhawk wrote:

It is also possible to wear £5 cycling shorts and shirts etc that are ok and do the same job so are you happy for everyone to wear them, no, each to their own, are Rolex watches pointless, why drive a Porsche when a Fiesta will do

Well, you may well be flush, but I have to watch my budgeting. If something cheap will do the job as well I save my money.
There are other things I like to spend it on. That does not include cars! Your choice, my choice.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Mike Sales wrote:
skyhawk wrote:

Well, you may well be flush, but I have to watch my budgeting. If something cheap will do the job as well I save my money.
There are other things I like to spend it on. That does not include cars! Your choice, my choice.

Never assume, you will always be wrong, I clearly said you make choices in life, READ what I said, I don't smoke, drink, gamble or go on holiday I chose my pleasures I said first, it is all our choices, I am 100% soooo glad we are all NOT the same, what a bore life would be, I am quite sure everyone here has things or does things others would consider pointless, even you :)

To me going on a cruise or £1000 family holiday is pointless to some here it is a well deserved holiday after a years hard work and so on
Last edited by skyhawk on 4 Aug 2019, 7:57pm, edited 5 times in total.