What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
100%JR

Re: What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Post by 100%JR »

Nothing is a waste of money if the person buying it wants it :wink:
£70 bottle cage?£400 pump?If someone wants them then why not?
It's only money,you can't take it with you :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

100%JR wrote:Nothing is a waste of money if the person buying it wants it :wink:
£70 bottle cage?£400 pump?If someone wants them then why not?
It's only money,you can't take it with you :lol:

No but you can make better use of it :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Found another item, these used to be about £20 I am sure but look what some are charging for it...

Carbon band clamp for braze-on front derailleur ($95)
https://store.parleecycles.com/products ... leur-clamp

Look at all the other bike parts you can get for that amount :roll:

I was going to post this as well but it doesn't replace a common part and I guess if it actually works it might be handy under special circumstances on tour (some reviews say it's useless)...

Dynamo based thing that charges USB devices via your headset top cap (£150)
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/cin ... ng-device/

Power meters are another one but they don't replace a common part and under the right circumstances are probably regarded as being a vital piece of kit.

Nothing I have found yet can beat the £110 titanium disc brake rotor in the 1st post.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Whilst I agree about the possesion willy wavers,burning cash is a total loss whichever way you look at it.Whereas at least buying something like a painting or even sunglasses keeps that wealth within the world and still buoyant as such it has the potential to be used for good.

Pieces of paper are not wealth. They are just tokens that we have agreed can be exchanged for real things, like food or houses.
Burning the paper does not destroy anything. The food and houses still exist.
That may well be KLF's point. They were given all this confetti for singing and playing instruments for a few minutes.
You cannot eat gold, or paper.

True, pieces of paper are tokens and burning them does not destroy anything physical other than the paper its self - I believe that act is illegal though. Paper monkey is effectively a written IOU and in destroying the paper IOU you render it irredeemable and so effectively gift the writer of it the sum promised (in that you can no longer call the loan back-in).

Personally I would agree with Mike’s point elsewhere. To me there is a certain madness in paying vast sums for artworks, that’s not to say that I think art is without value but rather that not everything should be valued solely in monetary terms ...
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote:True, pieces of paper are tokens and burning them does not destroy anything physical other than the paper its self - I believe that act is illegal though. Paper monkey is effectively a written IOU and in destroying the paper IOU you render it irredeemable and so effectively gift the writer of it the sum promised (in that you can no longer call the loan back-in).

The point is that when you burn paper token you rob anyone and everyone the use of them.It can be argued that they can be used for bad things,but equally so can be used for good too.
To burn them robs the society good opportunity.
It's rumoured that some rch people take delite in burning money in the front of homeless people on the street,if it's true nothing could be more crass and evil.

Personally I would agree with Mike’s point elsewhere. To me there is a certain madness in paying vast sums for artworks, that’s not to say that I think art is without value but rather that not everything should be valued solely in monetary terms ...

IMO that's a correct way of looking at it.
That said,deliberately burning say a Van Gough,does two things,it a)robs the world of that masters artwork and by proxy b)destroys the possible good use the money it could be put to.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:How about 5749 quid’s worth of Wheelset?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lightw ... elset/1MAT

Pah! You can buy three really good complete bikes for this. Good find.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I think these Rocket 7 shoes from the USA probably take the prize for most ridiculously overpriced piece of kit. I simply cannot see the value in them (saying this as someone who buys all their shoes online. Cycling and walking boots have the same design flaw: people pay stupid prices, wear them for a few weeks, they maybe pinch a bit or need breaking in, so they just flog em. January is a great time to buy outdoors stuff, takes about 3 weeks from xmas to realise it was a very expensive mistake!)

£1375... Though :o
Attachments
16123257_154356311729566_3142576103890092032_n.jpg
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Our maybe this Dash saddle /post combo (112gr) at a cool 1000 euro.
Attachments
dash-cycles-round-post-saddle-combo.jpg
dim

Post by dim »

CeramicSpeed Pulley/jockey Wheels ... prices start from £160

Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Polisman wrote:Our maybe this Dash saddle /post combo (112gr) at a cool 1000 euro.

I have got a (copy) Toupe carbon saddle that's lighter (91g) and it cost probably £15 :lol:

It's as thin as a credit card and not much more comfortable, being the 143mm one. Maybe if I was 6ft 7in.
Thenaul

Post by Thenaul »

It has to be expensive power gels they sell in bike shops!?.total waste of money...in my opinio :!: ?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

5E446E7F-AAA9-4D29-B14D-00795E27DE11.jpeg

10 grand, gold plated Carbon tri spoke wheels.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

On the same page with that gold wheelset "Fed up of your SRAM XX1 Eagle derailleur not being light enough..." :lol:

That's not 1st world problems, it's 0th world problems. :|

I wonder what the gold plated tri-spoke carbon wheelset would cost if it was not gold plated.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How can you gold-plate carbon fibre?
Plating is done ............ please correct me if I'm wrong ........... by electrical connections.
Anode and cathode ........... and relies on the conduction of electricity.

I don't think you can electroplate a plastic.
Mick F. Cornwall