What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
landsurfer

Re: What's the biggest waste of money possible on a bike part?

Post by landsurfer »

skyhawk wrote:

Never assume, you will always be wrong, I clearly said you make choices in life, READ what I said, I don't smoke, drink, gamble or go on holiday I chose my pleasures

Since you have a son you obviously haven't given up on sex ... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

skyhawk wrote:
Never assume, you will always be wrong, I clearly said you make choices in life, READ what I said, I don't smoke, drink, gamble or go on holiday I chose my pleasures I said first, it is all our choices, I am 100% soooo glad we are all NOT the same, what a bore life would be, I am quite sure everyone here has things others or does things others would consider pointless, even you :)

As I said, your choice, my choice. We are in agreement, but we clearly have different priorities.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:Having tested some, at random, whilst at work there are plenty of cheap ones our there that don’t offer protection and I’ve even seen fake standards compliance markings on some bought in the UK.

Were the cheap failures you tested CE marked?
Fake markings are known in many goods. They can be avoided by buying from established retailers, not market stalls.
Amazon and Primark have cheap sunglasses for sale.
As the BBC programme found, it is perfectly possible to find cheap sunglasses which meet the standards. Should not take much doing.

I’ve seen CE marked glasses allow up to 35% of UV through and even same glasses from the same brand have one set blocking 100% and the other allowing 12% through.

Unfortunately its easily possible to buy fake anything from Amazon especially if they are just acting as an agent.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

K Foundation Burn a Million Quid was an action on 23 August 1994 in which the K Foundation (an art duo consisting of Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty) burned cash in the amount of one million pounds sterling in a disused boathouse on the Ardfin Estate on the Scottish island of Jura.[1] The money represented the bulk of the K Foundation's funds, earned by Drummond and Cauty as The KLF, one of the United Kingdom's most successful pop groups of the early 1990s. [/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foundation_Burn_a_Million_Quid

Is this a waste of money? Cauty and Drummond did not think so.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 4 Aug 2019, 8:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Syd wrote:I’ve seen CE marked glasses allow up to 35% of UV through and even same glasses from the same brand have one set blocking 100% and the other allowing 12% through.

Unfortunately its easily possible to buy fake anything from Amazon especially if they are just acting as an agent.

Is it really necessary to pay Vision Express Rayban prices before you can trust them? Are their £8 glasses faked?
Is there no procedure for enforcing the integrity of the CE mark?
Can you trust anything in this commercial world?
Are CE marked domestic appliances from, say, PC World, really safe?

https://www.visionexpress.com/sunglasses/all/all/all/0-49/?page=2/36/pageViews/desc
Last edited by Mike Sales on 4 Aug 2019, 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:K Foundation Burn a Million Quid was an action on 23 August 1994 in which the K Foundation (an art duo consisting of Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty) burned cash in the amount of one million pounds sterling in a disused boathouse on the Ardfin Estate on the Scottish island of Jura.[1] The money represented the bulk of the K Foundation's funds, earned by Drummond and Cauty as The KLF, one of the United Kingdom's most successful pop groups of the early 1990s. [/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foundation_Burn_a_Million_Quid

Is this a waste of money? Cauty and Drummond did not think so.

Think of the good they could've done with it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Is this a waste of money? Cauty and Drummond did not think so.

One could make that point about any use of money, though it is true that you could do rather more good with £1m than with the price of a pair of Raybans.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:I’ve seen CE marked glasses allow up to 35% of UV through and even same glasses from the same brand have one set blocking 100% and the other allowing 12% through.

Is it really necessary to pay Vision Express Rayban prices before you can trust them? Are their £8 glasses faked?
Is there no procedure for enforcing the integrity of the CE mark?
Can you trust anything in this commercial world?
Are CE marked domestic appliances from, say, PC World, really safe?

https://www.visionexpress.com/sunglasses/all/all/all/0-49/?page=2/36/pageViews/desc

Is it really necessary to pay Vision Express Rayban prices before you can trust them? No. Buy from a reputable company who manage their own supply chain back to source.

Are their £8 glasses faked? Possibly only examination and testing will tell you for sure.

Is there no procedure for enforcing the integrity of the CE mark? Yes, trading standards do take reports of fake CE markings very seriously.

Can you trust anything in this commercial world? Often yes, still with reputable suppliers as above.

Are CE marked domestic appliances from, say, PC World, really safe? Yes, well the vast majority of the time. When things do go wrong such companies should have a robust recall scheme.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Is this a waste of money? Cauty and Drummond did not think so.

One could make that point about any use of money, though it is true that you could do rather more good with £1m than with the price of a pair of Raybans.

I'm not getting into the sunglasses debate.
Actually burning money when there's so much need in the world is crass in the extreme IMO
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Syd wrote:Is it really necessary to pay Vision Express Rayban prices before you can trust them? No. Buy from a reputable company who manage their own supply chain back to source.

Are their £8 glasses faked? Possibly only examination and testing will tell you for sure.

Is there no procedure for enforcing the integrity of the CE mark? Yes, trading standards do take reports of fake CE markings very seriously.

Can you trust anything in this commercial world? Often yes, still with reputable suppliers as above.

Are CE marked domestic appliances from, say, PC World, really safe? Yes, well the vast majority of the time. When things do go wrong such companies should have a robust recall scheme.

Are Vision Express less trustworthy than PC World? I never knew.

I think that the point is that it is perfectly possible to buy cheap, effective sunglasses. They are not expensive to make.
Raybans too can be faked, and I would be unsurprised to hear that they have been.
At Rayban prices there is a strong incentive to fake them. Paying high prices does not guarantee probity.

By the way, did you report the shoddy glasses to Trading Standards? Surely the were either not CE marked or had a fake CE mark. Either must be illegal.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Back on topic there isnt any need for this

https://www.merlincycles.com/silca-supe ... 11669.html

at £410 when a perfectly capable Joe Blow can be had for around £25.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Syd wrote:Back on topic there isnt any need for this

https://www.merlincycles.com/silca-supe ... 11669.html

at £410 when a perfectly capable Joe Blow can be had for around £25.

I've owned a BlowJoe for about 8 years now and it's still as good as the day I bought it,in that time it's had a replacement seal kit(£5)for the head that fits over the valve.
A most brilliant tool :)
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ebikes, the shops push them to people who could ride real bikes, just to turn over more cash

thousands instead of hundreds, they cost, and the shops earn lots more on servicing and batteries

ebikes may be appropriate for some but many buy them unnecessarily
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:By the way, did you report the shoddy glasses to Trading Standards? Surely the were either not CE marked or had a fake CE mark. Either must be illegal.

All failures were reported. Some actually held a correct CE mark were reported for poor quality control and compliance to the standard. The remainder, and the companies selling them , were either reported for selling fakes or for selling non-CE marked products.

My line of work is medical equipment hence have access to UV sources and measuring kit. Have reported a number of medical products over the years too to the MHRA.

PS didn’t associate £8 glasses and Vision Express just thought it was a random £8 pair.