Has anyone ever made a full chain of missing links for a laugh?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Manc33

Has anyone ever made a full chain of missing links for a laugh?

Post by Manc33 »

You can't have a complete bike chain of missing links, because only the outer plates could be missing links, but has anyone ever done this where every other half link is a missing link?

It would be the ultimate test of how strong these things are. :lol:

What might the gear shifts be like, surely there's going to be more play in such a chain? I'd imagine the shifting would suffer.

A pair of missing links costs about 25% of the cost of a cheap chain, so I doubt anyone has ever done it, but someone somewhere should do it.

Maybe it could be a collective effort. Send your old missing links to PO Box blah blah blah. It would be even better if really worn ones were used.

These things have 4 names lol:

- power link
- missing link
- master link
- quick link

All the same thing. :roll:

From another forum elsewhere:

Code: Select all

No he’s talking rubbish mate! You could replace every other link with a power link and it would be fine. My LBS has had a bike in where a young chap had done it!

Of course this could be utter nonsense. Why would any LBS ever witness such a thing. The first part of his comment is talking about the perceived "risk" of using 2 missing links in a chain (the initial subject of the thread).

I only got onto this because I need to end up with a chain 60" long and they only seem to be sold at 114 (57"), 116 (58") or 118 (59") long.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Mike Sales

Re: Has anyone ever made a full chain of missing links for a laugh?

Post by Mike Sales »

No, but I have made one out of the short lengths left over when fitting a new chain.
No special joining links, it was made out of non-riveted chains.
If the joins are done properly it is little different to a chain with the inevitable join.
Recumbent chains are often made of at least two standard length chains.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

For a laugh, or a cry? I think the OP has volunteered to do this and report back, simply by mentioning it :wink:

Malvern Link?
Silver Link?

Each link could be engraved with a name
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Add "PowerLock" (SRAM) to the list of names people call these things.

"Missing link" is my favourite, pretty unnerving. If it's missing... why is it there. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The chain on my Moulton has two KMC missing links.
Chains come in an odd number of links. Campag ones are described at 116 links, but the 116th is a special one that you need a special tool to connect ............... so I remove it .................. then I have 115 links.

Moulton needs 118 links.
155 links in the chain, plus two missing links either side of an inner link ............. making 118 links in all.

Can't be done any other way as I don't think you can buy a 117 link chain. Even if you could, I wouldn't buy one as Campag chains are brilliant.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Snap link here, from the noise it makes going in rather than the fact that you snap it trying. My dad had yet another name for them but I've forgotten it. The snap links he knew - and me, during the 60s - had one side-plate with the pivots on it, another side-plate that fitted over them easily, and an extra little clip on the outside that held everything together. Not for dérailleurs - Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub if you were lucky.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Mick F do you reckon Campag chains are better than KMC?

When I went from Shimano/SRAM chains to KMC I noticed the shifting improved. Even the cheapest £6 KMC chains are decent.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

You just need to wait a few months, and then get a ShelBroCo Sram deluxe kit https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html for $249.95, which is all made of power links.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Manc33 wrote:Mick F do you reckon Campag chains are better than KMC?
I had a KMC chain once, and it was cheap and nasty.
I don't think they're all like that across the range though.

Moulton came with a Weinmann one. It stretched and wore quite quickly, so put on a new Campag.

All Campag chains are equally good. I wouldn't bother buying any other make.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mick F wrote:All Campag chains are equally good. I wouldn't bother buying any other make.
I use Campag on my "best" touring machine and am convinced that it is noticeably smoother running than the SRAM chains on my others - even when they are new. I believe that Campag chains are made by Wippermann although the Wippermann chains that I used about 10 years ago were of a different shape. I use Wippermann Connex disconnect links on the Campag chain which also work well.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

No. But I made an improvised lock for my garden bench from a vintage Sedis 5 speed. Keeps the crooks round here at bay :lol: