Very Low Geared Fat Bike

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
OldLimey

Very Low Geared Fat Bike

Post by OldLimey »

I modified my Specialized Fatboy with very low gears, and a large front tire. I had to build a special back wheel to accommodate the huge cassette.

big cassette.jpg
Ray

Re: Very Low Geared Fat Bike

Post by Ray »

Poor photoshopping :roll:
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Good luck trying to stop with that front disc rotor. :roll:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The OP posted this in Fun & Games, which suggests that it's a joke :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The saddle is set wrongly.
Mick F. Cornwall
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote:The saddle is set wrongly.

Actually, it's not. I use a 2-bolt seat post to precisely set it at the angle that suits me. I have a steerer extender which raises the bars so I'm sitting upright, not bent down onto them.
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Ray wrote:Poor photoshopping :roll:

Oh, please, please forgive me, O great one!
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Vorpal wrote:The OP posted this in Fun & Games, which suggests that it's a joke :)

Thank you, Vorpa.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OldLimey wrote:

Actually, it's not. I use a 2-bolt seat post to precisely set it at the angle that suits me. I have a steerer extender which raises the bars so I'm sitting upright, not bent down onto them.
Your handlebars are too high.

Maybe you need to be sitting upright due to the silly from wheel and the silly low gears. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote:
OldLimey wrote:

Your handlebars are too high.

Maybe you need to be sitting upright due to the silly from wheel and the silly low gears. :lol:

Without the steerer extender I end up leaning down on the bars, like on a road bike, with all my weight on my hands. The bars aren't the right ones for a mountain bike, but I don't ride mountains, strictly pavement, and 99% on sidewalks which can get a bit rough at times. I'm not in a city but ride around our county with hardly any pedestrians. I've customized the bike to suit me but someone who wants to ride dirt hills wouldn't like it, especially with road tires on it instead of the knobby ones.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do you have KOPS correctly?
Your BB seems a bit too far forward.

The front tyre looks a bit too hard as well. Perhaps you should let some air out of it a tad.
I like the low gears. The bike would do well climbing the hills hereabouts, but be prepared to freewheel down them.
Mick F. Cornwall
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote:Do you have KOPS correctly?
Your BB seems a bit too far forward.

The front tyre looks a bit too hard as well. Perhaps you should let some air out of it a tad.
I like the low gears. The bike would do well climbing the hills hereabouts, but be prepared to freewheel down them.

The KOPS is perfect. If it was any further back, I'd be sitting on my jewels. The gears didn't work out as well as I had hoped. It takes twenty crank spindle revolutions for one revolution of the wheel, which means I don't get up enough speed to keep the bike from falling over.

I ride a beach cruiser, too, on which KOPS becomes HOPS - Heels Over Pedal Spindle. No wonder it's called a beach cruiser because it's not a bike for riding very far.

Here's another photo of the fatty after I left it out in the hot Florida sun.

bike warp.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do those wheels go round ok?
Seems to me that you'll be a bit wobbly as you ride.

I had a bike once, with oddly shaped wheels, and the gearing left a lot to be desired as well. Very difficult to climb the hills, and rather weird freewheeling down the other side.
Mick F. Cornwall
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote:Do those wheels go round ok?
Seems to me that you'll be a bit wobbly as you ride.

I had a bike once, with oddly shaped wheels, and the gearing left a lot to be desired as well. Very difficult to climb the hills, and rather weird freewheeling down the other side.

It's bumpy but fun. It pays to ride on an empty stomach, though, unless losing one's breakfast is one of the pleasures of life.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Will those balloon tyres keep it afloat, could be the start of a new waterbike revolution. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D