Dismantled 10-speed chain

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
OldLimey

Dismantled 10-speed chain

Post by OldLimey »

I know you all must have been wondering what a dismantled 10-speed chain looks like. Well, wonder no more, because I dismantled my old one. It was laborious but the upside is, I got some practice with the chain tool.

Dismantled 10 speed chain.png
Jdsk

Re: Dismantled 10-speed chain

Post by Jdsk »

"Assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

: - )

Jonathan
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

And here's the chain in a sandwich bag. It takes up less room this way.

Dismantled 10 speed chain 2.png
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Jdsk wrote:"Assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

: - )

Jonathan

I ain't putting it back together, if that's what yer implying! :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's nice and clean. :D

Can we have a photo of what it looked like before you striped it down, or maybe part-way?
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

I wonder, how many people would consider buying a new chain in this form if it meant you got it at half price?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................and another thing .................

How many links in your chain?
Seems to me, that you have a rather short one.

Count the pins.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a discussion elsewhere on these fora about noisy freewheels and possible punishments for noise pollution
I suggest chain re-assembly with the pins perfectly centred :wink:

How long did it take you to dismantle it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rjb

Post by rjb »

With a bag of nails you could rebuild it into a duplex or triplex chain. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote:It's nice and clean. :D

Can we have a photo of what it looked like before you striped it down, or maybe part-way?

I soaked it in a citrus cleaner for a few hours, and shook the pot around, but it was still greasy. My hands were black by time I finished.

I can post a photo of a replica chain that replaced it. :D
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote:................and another thing .................

How many links in your chain?
Seems to me, that you have a rather short one.

Count the pins.

It had 122 links when new. The replacement was 122 links but then I had to remove a couple of them to make it the right length. Laying the old and new chains side by side, two links had to be removed.

The pins are mixed up with all the other parts in a bag, and I ain't gonna count 'em for nobody! :D

Correction: The new chain is listed as having 116 links. I had to remove four. So it's a total of 112 links plus the master link.
Last edited by OldLimey on 18 Oct 2020, 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

rjb wrote:With a bag of nails you could rebuild it into a duplex or triplex chain. :wink:

I was thinking of scattering the bag of parts along the road for cars to pick up. :D
Actually, I threw the old chain in the recycling bin but then realized it could get caught up in the recycling equipment and do some serious damage. So around 3 a.m. this morning, I was awake and wondering what to do with it. Then the idea of dismantling it came to me.

The machines that make the chains in the factories must have been designed by brilliant people. One of the parts I couldn't save was the tiny O rings. They were like wire not much thicker than a human hair, and they built up around the chain tool pin, making it very hard to get them off. I used a sharp knife and pointed pliers to remove them.
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There is a discussion elsewhere on these fora about noisy freewheels and possible punishments for noise pollution
I suggest chain re-assembly with the pins perfectly centred :wink:

How long did it take you to dismantle it?

I bought up your suggestion at a board meeting (the board I dismantled the chain on), and it was rejected. Sorry about that! :D

I'd guess it took around an hour or just a bit longer. I first cut the chain into about 150mm pieces to make it easier to handle. It's not a project I would care to tackle, again. I really just wanted to see what it would look like. I wonder if any other chain-breaking tool has done as much work!
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

peetee wrote:I wonder, how many people would consider buying a new chain in this form if it meant you got it at half price?

That gives me an idea for selling it on eBay. "Used 10-speed chain. Needs some assembly." :D
drossall

Post by drossall »

I wasn't actually present, but a clubmate once described his chain exploding on the way home from a club 10. He said that he was scrabbling round in the road trying to collect enough bits to build something to get home when, luckily, another rider came by in a car.

I've always visualised something like this for the event, although logic dictates otherwise :D