Things only a cyclist would think...

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Audax67

Re: Things only a cyclist would think...

Post by Audax67 »

jimlews wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 8:04am Why are all bicycles female? (Despite contrary evidence of a top tube).
Actually, they're bisexual: la bicyclette is also le vélo.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Suffolk has hills
NUKe

Post by jimlews »

Audax67 wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 8:41am
jimlews wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 8:04am Why are all bicycles female? (Despite contrary evidence of a top tube).
Actually, they're bisexual: la bicyclette is also le vélo.
Only a cyclist would think that :wink:

Also sexually dimorphic.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Northumberland is flat.

This cyclist doesn’t think that, but some do.
John
AshenDruid

Post by AshenDruid »

Famous Belgians:

Working in an IT Tech Support team many years ago we broke the tedium by asking who could name famous Belgians.

Someone said: Claud Van Damme

To which Fred (named changed for obvious reasons) said: 'He's not Belgian, he's from Brussels.'

You could have heard a pin drop. :D
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

“What a beautiful country we live in”

And at this time of year….
“Does anyone else notice how many apple trees there are along the roadside?”
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How do you know they are apple trees?
The apple harvest has been terrible here, and some trees have had no apples at all.

Our tree shed all the small miserable apples weeks/months ago.
Our quince tree gave us 30lbs of fruit last year, and this year none whatsoever.

April should have been blossom time, but we had frosts, strong winds, and rain. All the blossom was ripped out and frosted off before it was pollinated. Any that were, were pitiful.

Went to a friend's house this morning only five or six miles from here, and her trees produced fruit, so collected a nice big box of apples.

it all depends on your location and aspect.
Mick F. Cornwall
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Mick F wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:09pm How do you know they are apple trees?
The apple harvest has been terrible here, and some trees have had no apples at all.

Our tree shed all the small miserable apples weeks/months ago.
Our quince tree gave us 30lbs of fruit last year, and this year none whatsoever.

April should have been blossom time, but we had frosts, strong winds, and rain. All the blossom was ripped out and frosted off before it was pollinated. Any that were, were pitiful.

Went to a friend's house this morning only five or six miles from here, and her trees produced fruit, so collected a nice big box of apples.

it all depends on your location and aspect.
We visited my son in Nether Stowey, Somerset today. There were plenty of apples and quinces in the garden, but hardly any plums.
Richard M
Cardiff
Debs

Post by Debs »

AlanD wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:41pm “What a beautiful country we live in”

And at this time of year….
“Does anyone else notice how many apple trees there are along the roadside?”
Sad to say i notice more than the usual quoter of dead squirrels on the road this month.

I bet non-cyclists wouldn't see them let alone think of them as they run over them in the car.

They need to bring the Tufty road safety campaign back again obviously :|
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'd forgotten about the Tufty Club, a lot of tales told there I bet, (getting a lame pun out of my system early in the day).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ry9tiz9_c
Nu-Fogey
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Is it scrumping if one can reach them from a bike in the road? Asking for a friend.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

richardfm wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:22pm We visited my son in Nether Stowey, Somerset today. There were plenty of apples and quinces in the garden, but hardly any plums.
Strange eh?

Last year we harvested 14lbs of grapes off our vine - outdoors - but this year it was hardly worth bothering to pick as they were pitifully small, as well as being few.
Mick F. Cornwall
peterb

Post by peterb »

Vorpal wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 7:58am Is it scrumping if one can reach them from a bike in the road? Asking for a friend.
- reminds me of a ride with a friend around 60 years ago - having set out that morning from Solihull, near Birmingham with no particular destination in mind, 60 miles or so later having reached Gloucester docks we decided we'd better return home. On the way back, starving hungry, we stopped to raid a roadside orchard. Those were the days, no mobiles, no gels, 'Stera' milk in the corked drinks bottle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

peterb wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 12:17pm
Vorpal wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 7:58am Is it scrumping if one can reach them from a bike in the road? Asking for a friend.
- reminds me of a ride with a friend around 60 years ago - having set out that morning from Solihull, near Birmingham with no particular destination in mind, 60 miles or so later having reached Gloucester docks we decided we'd better return home. On the way back, starving hungry, we stopped to raid a roadside orchard. Those were the days, no mobiles, no gels, 'Stera' milk in the corked drinks bottle.
My brother & I set off on a similar ride, once. Though we had a destination in mind, it was a bit farther than we thought. Too early in the year for apples, though (it was during summer holidays).
viewtopic.php?p=1250541#p1250541
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 8:54am
richardfm wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:22pm We visited my son in Nether Stowey, Somerset today. There were plenty of apples and quinces in the garden, but hardly any plums.
Strange eh?

Last year we harvested 14lbs of grapes off our vine - outdoors - but this year it was hardly worth bothering to pick as they were pitifully small, as well as being few.
Our next door neighbours' vines (in Cardiff) had as many, if not more, grapes than last year. We helped press them at the weekend and got two and a half demi johns of juice out for them, one of which is fermenting nicely in our house now.
Richard M
Cardiff