What's your favourite bike tool?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
rotavator

Re: What's your favourite bike tool?

Post by rotavator »

Mick F wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 4:41pm
8mm 9mm and 10mm hex nuts?
Why?
There are plenty of 8 and 10 mm hex nuts on my bikes on e.g. mudguards and racks but I have no 9 mm nuts. I now have open ended and ring spanners with 8 and 10 mm at the ends so I never pick up the wrong spanner.

My favourite tool could be my track pump because it just works every time.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

rotavator wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:24pmMy favourite tool could be my track pump because it just works every time.
It's not a tool as such but I got one of these, because I'm just that lazy :lol:

I don't take it out riding with me but I might buy another so I have one while out and one at home.

Doesn't pack much of a punch though, topping up 4 car tyres will drain most of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gooplayer-Port ... B085R927T9

We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My Lezyne alloy track pump. Had it >10 years; fastest pump I ever had. For on the bike, my Road Morph pump: since I buggered a collar bone in 2002 I haven't been able to use an ordinary pump or one of those minute silvery things, but with this I can put an end on the ground and use both hands. Last time I used it I got up to ~6½ bar.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Tekton 1/4” drive 270° swivel head ratchet (with Facom hex socket set).

I was looking for a nut driver/spinner, but this has that facility as well as being handy for fiddly jobs such as bottle cages and micro adjust seat posts etc.

Lovely versatile tool, although the price has doubled since I bought mine a couple of years ago.

EC88D2C2-6565-4C5D-A410-F1080B8559B7.jpeg
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Took some finding…. I used to take my Pamir Engineering Freewheel Cracker on tour. This turned the bike into a chain-whip and helped with broken drive-side spokes. I’ve got their later Hypercracker for cassette lock rings somewhere too.

pamir.png
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

backnotes wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 1:14pm Took some finding…. I used to take my Pamir Engineering Freewheel Cracker on tour. This turned the bike into a chain-whip and helped with broken drive-side spokes. I’ve got their later Hypercracker for cassette lock rings somewhere too.

pamir.png
Oh I like the look of that a lot!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My favourite is the 1.5-kilo hammer I apply to the end of the spanner I use to start unscrewing pedals. One tap does the trick.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
MrCJF

Post by MrCJF »

Mick F wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 10:11am The issue with multitools is that they rarely have all the bits you need, and often have bits you never need.
That Park one at the beginning. .......... What are the 8mm, 9mm and 10mm sockets for?

My favourite tools are a full set of Allen keys.
My mudguards use 8mm nuts (for the stays) and 10mm nuts (for the mounting bolt).
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

There's a Chinese YTool copy of the Park 8,9,10mm to be had online for a fiver!
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Good quality chrome vanadium too.
Attachments
IMG_20220128_104738.jpg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Don't know about "favourite" but the three I use all the time are:
* my Topeak multitool
* a Shimano-a-like cable cutter
* a SKS RennKompressor track pump
The multitool comes with me everywhere, is used all the time and shows no signs of wearing at all. The pump's the same and will doubtless still be cheerfully pumping air after nuclear armagedon. I wasn't sure about the cable cutters as I usually try to heed the motto, "Buy cheap, buy twice." and bite the bullet to buy the best gear I can afford, so when I bought the cutters at a low price off of Amazon, I didn't expect them to last long. However, they show no sign of giving up, many cable cuts down the line.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

This
0000006548_b81ff419-4753-4471-8220-e83a50c3c5d1_grande.jpg
15mm open ended and 14/15mm socket; it does all my square taper crank bolts, pedals and wheel nuts.

Use it all the time

A close second is a full set of Snap-on ball ended Allen keys - found as road kill :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stradageek wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 6:02pm15mm open ended and 14/15mm socket; it does all my square taper crank bolts, pedals and wheel nuts.
Haven't seen that before. Neat.

Thankyou

Jonathan
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

When I posted my favourite, I realised I actually never even use it. :lol:

Based on usage, it's this thing by a long way.

I swapped the Phillips for a 6mm allen bit and the 3/4/5 allen bits for Wera Hex Plus ones (that cost nearly as much as the torque key did!)

We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Whoops, forgot about this one. The only multi-tool I know of that incorporates a usable pedal/wheel nut spanner. It is however eyewateringly expensive (£40)
New Pict.jpg
New Pict.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 1317 times