The glory of the spellchecker...

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
661-Pete

The glory of the spellchecker...

Post by 661-Pete »

How many funnies like the following have you unearthed whilst browsing? Sorry it's a bit gory!
The Washington Post wrote:...the only movement from the condemned was a brief involuntary lunch...
in an article on capital punishment of all things. Talk about 'gallows humour'! Or have they refined the custom of the 'last meal'....?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
The Grange Gardener

Re: The glory of predictive text..

Post by The Grange Gardener »

I came across this one some years ago which made me smile:

Txt message from mother to 15 year old daughter who's at home doing her homework, "What do you want from life ?"
The daughter somewhat puzzled by her mother's question replied, " Health, happiness, job security and a family life we have "
The mother's reply came back..... "No...what do want from Lidl!"
Slowtwitch

Re: The glory of the spellchecker...

Post by Slowtwitch »

Predictive text messaging can yield the same kind of hilarity. I remember getting a text for 'how much is fright to Italy' from a customer once. My response was not well received :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The texter may have had a speech impediment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hujev

Post by hujev »

Lately I'm having a lot of trouble with everything wanting to change 'phenology' (the timing and sequence of nature events - not that obscure a word I think; but I'm an ecologist) to 'phrenology (the 19th c. quackery that one's intelligence can be measured by the topography of lumpiness on one's head).

Worse yet on my all-locked-down work computer the $#@! 'autocorrect' (sic) gets turned back on ('auto' of course) whenever I try to turn it off, changing this and other words & punctuation from what I wanted to say to what I did not.