Here's a puzzle for you...

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Manc33

Re: Here's a puzzle for you...

Post by Manc33 »

All done using GPS which is a military thing. As Eric Dubay points out, they go to the North Pole and pull out a digital Garmin, not a mechanical compass, they could be anywhere.

The only proof is what you can see with your own eyes.

Let me just copy what I posted on BR then, which also never got any answer... in fact it was shortly after pointing this out I got banned...

- The Isle of Wight lighthouse in England is 180 feet high and can be seen up to 42 miles away, a distance at which modern astronomers say the light should fall 996 feet below your line of sight.

- The Cape L’Agulhas lighthouse in South Africa is 33 feet high, 238 feet above sea level, and can be seen for over 50 miles. If the world was a globe, this light would fall 1,400 feet below an observer’s line of sight.

- The Statue of Liberty in New York stands 326 feet above sea level and on a clear day can be seen as far as 60 miles away. If the Earth was a globe, that would put Lady Liberty at an impossible 2,074 feet below the horizon.

- The lighthouse at Port Said, Egypt, at an elevation of only 60 feet has been seen an astonishing 58 miles away, where, according to modern astronomy it should be 2,182 feet below the line of sight.

Another video proving lack of curve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZPyphE3B_c

People can and will "debunk" (to their own satisfaction) these things, but they can't keep it up forever, too many people are verifying these things for themselves for it to be a realistic thing to keep a lid on. Thats why I said on BR its probably best to start learning about this stuff sooner rather than later, however comical that might sound, yep, it is before you've done any looking into it, I thought that myself.
Last edited by Manc33 on 12 Jun 2015, 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
beardy

Post by beardy »

All done using GPS

No it isnt. That is obviously blatantly false. Most of the travelling around the Earth was done pre-GPS.
The mapping was done preGPS, also as I said these distances and angles have been roughly confirmed by everything from click mileometers on bikes to days walking.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Manc33 wrote:All done using GPS which is a military thing. As Eric Dubay points out, they go to the North Pole and pull out a digital Garmin, not a mechanical compass, they could be anywhere.

Twaddle, convenient for a troll. A quick internet search, all I can be bothered with, and something you can't be bothered with at all, shows that great circle navigation was at least under discussion, having been accepted as a theory as far back as 1549. You have no interest whatever in facts or research. Just argument.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
beardy

Post by beardy »

Just taking one at random

- The Cape L’Agulhas lighthouse in South Africa is 33 feet high, 238 feet above sea level, and can be seen for over 50 miles. If the world was a globe, this light would fall 1,400 feet below an observer’s line of sight.

A quick check on Wikipedia shows different values for its height and range. Hardly worth doing any number crunching when the input data is so much in dispute. Wikipedia, while not totally reliable, is open to review by people who may actually know about the building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Agulhas_Lighthouse
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

beardy wrote:
All done using GPS

No it isnt. That is obviously blatantly false. Most of the travelling around the Earth was done pre-GPS.
The mapping was done preGPS, also as I said these distances and angles have been roughly confirmed by everything from click mileometers on bikes to days walking.

I said today they just show a digital Garmin, not a mechanical compass.

Like with the time zones, the distances check out on both a round Earth and a flat Earth, thats why the flat Earth has a circumference of 50,000 miles etc. You can "circumnavigate" a flat Earth from East to West at the equator just the same as on a globe. Everywhere north of the equator can be rigged to make a flat Earth appear to be a globe, but what they cannot deal with is the southern hemisphere, hence the planes not able to do non-stop flights and so on.

So I agree in the northern hemisphere all those distances will just match up.

For 4,000 years every culture said the Earth was flat. It is only in the last 500 years we have been told it is a ball. We have also coincidentally been encouraged all our lives to assume we are vastly more intelligent than they were, doesn't look like it from what I am finding.
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

for everyone else's information we did answer the lighthouse question - he did nt like it becasue the maths was a bit hard (optics being one of the most mathematically complex bits of physics)
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

ddraver wrote:for everyone else's information we did answer the lighthouse question - he did nt like it becasue the maths was a bit hard (optics being one of the most mathematically complex bits of physics)

No one answered it.

Shootist wrote:If you want real images they are there by the millions on the internet.

Why would you say that?

Because you think they are real?

They aren't - they are composites (a lot by NASA's own admission) and paintings, CGI stills, mock ups, cartoonish looking reconstructions.

Please don't say there are "millions" of them sheesh honestly, mind backing that up then by posting say five, of these millions?
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Can any rational person reading this now have any doubt whatsoever that Manc33 is a troll?
[George Orwell]
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Manc33 wrote:
ddraver wrote:for everyone else's information we did answer the lighthouse question - he did nt like it becasue the maths was a bit hard (optics being one of the most mathematically complex bits of physics)

No one answered it.

I actually asked for an answer after you'd been kicked off - I can't be any clearer - we did answer it.
beardy

Post by beardy »

the distances check out on both a round Earth and a flat Earth,

The distances can be made to work* or the angles can be made to work but both the angles AND the distances can not be made to work out together on a flat surface but they can on a globe.

*If you only look at half the world at a time.

the flat Earth has a circumference of 50,000 miles

How does a flat Earth have a circumference? Is it not a plane, like I was imagining? Is it actually a cylinder so flat in one dimension and circular in another?
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

North Pole to the Equator on a globe: 6,214 miles.
North Pole to the Equator on a flat Earth: 6,214 miles.

So to get the figure from the North pole to the South Pole (again, for both) it is double this - 12,428 miles from pole to pole. Except on a flat Earth the South "pole" isn't a pole, it is an outer edge or ice wall/mountains.

So then you'd just do 12,428 miles x 3.14159 and that makes the outer edge have a circumference of just over 39,000 miles. The thing is this is a huge point of contention and the flat Earth is thought to be slightly bigger than that around the outer edges. No one ever goes down there to know, only Government approved people. You'd get shot at if you tried to go there without permission, the "Antarctic Treaty" sees to that. People have been thrown in jail for trying it.

Also, it isn't a circle it is more of a square because the sun doesn't freeze the sea in parts where it does freeze the water on the land next to the sea, so the edge is anything but a circle, that is just an "only just thought about it" way of looking at it.

ddraver wrote:
Manc33 wrote:

No one answered it.

I actually asked for an answer after you'd been kicked off - I can't be any clearer - we did answer it.

It wasn't answered and refraction doesn't work because it only accounts for 1/12th of the distance.

The Chicago skyline fully visible from 60 miles away on the shore of Lake Michigan is the best one I have seen, due to the fact that it is 60 miles of water (that should have a drop/curve of about 2,400 feet) and yet, you can see to the base of the buildings. The tallest building there is 1,500 feet tall. So how come instead of there being 900 feet of water obscuring the top of the building, we can see through 2,400 feet of water and see almost all 1,500 feet of the building?

They claimed it is a "mirage". So we are supposed to believe a mirage is floating about 2,400 feet above the water and unlike mirages usually are, this particular mirage is the right way up, well I thought it might be. When you see every answer is like this and relies primarily on someone not knowing anything, you can just make anything up, but what you can't ever do is change what you can observe and no one else can change it either. The Chicago skyline isn't being obscured therefore there isn't a curve, even over 60 miles of water.
Last edited by Manc33 on 12 Jun 2015, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

go and read it again - It is genuinely difficult I accept. Chicago/lighthouse makes no difference
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

ddraver wrote:go and read it again - It is genuinely difficult I accept. Chicago/lighthouse makes no difference

Reading something does not take priority over a real world observation.

Science is based on observations, it isn't the other way around and never can be.

Well you can do it the other way around but that is a departure from science.

Also, real science gets adapted and revised - no one would ever be caught saying things like "We already know this" and "No need to answer that" when a question gets asked.

Science means observing something yourself and getting rid of all the bunk. Gravity is a part of that bunk, the Earth's purported "curve" is a part of that bunk, when we cannot observe either.

People are so ignorant they will even say things like "You can prove gravity, just drop an object on the floor". :lol: Yes it accelerates... but you don't need gravity to explain it, the object having a different density to its surroundings explains it and all those laws of density and buoyancy existed before Newton came along with his fanciful theory.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Except on a flat Earth the South "pole" isn't a pole, it is an outer edge or ice wall/mountains.

This idea was clearly thought up in the Northern hemisphere as those of us who lived down under know the places in the Southern hemisphere are somewhat closer than possible in that model.

Also how do the stars get rearranged in the sky to give the same impression of the Southern Cross Which we now get looking in the same direction) when looking "South" which would be outward (so a different direction) from any where down under.

Why can we no longer see the North Star down South (or the Southern Cross up North)?