Borrowing a bike from a relative with OCD

ClappedOut

Borrowing a bike from a relative with OCD

Post by ClappedOut »

Speaking with a relative they are offering me the chance to try a selection of their cheaper bikes, they are OCD so I'm a little reticent and thinking I will look daft a fat boy on a full on road bike in casual clothes - so asking for some sort of hybrid to borrow.
I would prefer to go for a ride with them and hand it back at the end of the day.

They are suggesting clips and I would like flats due to foot problems, trying to be tactful I would like to explore the options but not get screamed at, out of my ability or cause upset at the offer.

That and one of their cheap bikes is into 4 figures a prospect that terrified me compared to a few hundred pound bike worst case I would have to pay for it.

Also does a fat boy really need to experience a carbon bike or is it like handing the keys for a ferrari to your gran to go shopping?

Answers on a postcard
Paulatic

Re: Borrowing a bike from a relative with OCD

Post by Paulatic »

A friend of mine has OCD he prefers to call it CDO as it puts the letters in the right order. :D
Seriously though every bike he has is immaculate and always kept immaculate. I’ve had a go on his bikes a hundred yards up the road and back no problem. If he offered me one for a weeks use I wouldn’t dare take up the offer. There is no way I could hand it back in the condition he would expect. It’s the attention to minute detail that I lack.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What's the purpose of the trial?

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Sounds like a recipe for family relationship disaster! Definitely don't ride with them in clips if you aren't used to them, high risk of bike damage!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Oops duplicate post!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

VinceLedge wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 8:59am Oops duplicate post!
You can delete it yourself, click on X
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

For some reason the x doesn't appear on that post!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It goes away once someone else posts. I’ve got the option now until the next :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Also does a fat boy really need to experience a carbon bike or is it like handing the keys for a ferrari to your gran to go shopping?
Why not? Give it a try, you might like it and it may be the inspiration required to lose a bit of weight!

Most of my bikes are built for utility, but every now and then I get the 'special one' out of the shed and it is truly a thing of wonder to ride.

I see many bikes in pristine, immaculate condition and if that is your thing all well and good. I much prefer to not fret too much over aesthetics and feel a few blemishes and scratches give the steed a bit of character perhaps. However, each to their own.

I would not recommend using an unfamiliar clipless system on any bike borrowed from an OCD friend......
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

It all came about talking about the various videos and things like Di2, rohloff etc and I think their enthusiasm and offer is based on general shared interest - like people choose their favourite professional sport and support their favourite sports person.

I don't think that my age and health issue have fully registered with them and I have politely asked about flat pedals, saddle and if I have they have a cheap hybrid / gravel bike within the sort of price range I could save for so applicable & we could ride out on as worried about any small scratches etc. (hopefully a way to back peddle if this concerns them)

Their wife has long said they are obsessed and routines, so I have asked what data they have on same route and various bikes- Speed heart rate and even a temperature and wind weather report emailed to me :D Can't say they are not thorough.

Thanks for advice :D
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 8:42am What's the purpose of the trial?

Jonathan
Good question, I admired some of his bikes I have seen and I think maybe lack of contact with usual associates spurred them to chat/engage in a common interest in hope I move up my game a little- more achievable in their mind to what I can manage.

The discussion has been diverse, other day it was a rohloff or a 3 speed Stumley Archer /Sachs or Sram Duel as they felt Nexus, Alfine and anything Stumley Archer over 3 speed fell apart.

General enthusiasm - how this practically translates not sure, but offered wheel building for whatever project I planned, seems to flip from ultra durable to ultra light weight discussion
531colin

Post by 531colin »

OCD and building bike wheels would be uneasy bedfellows.
I am happy to choose my compromise between perfectly round, perfectly true, and perfectly even tension.....but add OCD and I don't know what might happen. :?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

They seem quite animated, I think the lack of cycling buddy contact has caused them to focus on anything. We were talking about a pashley Govnor the other day and wondering if the wooden mud guards were summer use only or aluminium lined.

I'm getting messages of frames and various bits for sale on various places and offers to put the perfect bike together- what that is still a question to be answered.

Could be a useful when I acrue a few bits and they may want to be involved- I'm pleased not to be trying any of their expensive bikes out without supervision.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Hope you don't mind be asking but are we actually talking about diagnosed OCD or just someone who is fussy/enthusiatic? OCD is used pretty well at random nowadays and 99% of the time incorrectly. EG some friends suggest that I could have a OCD label slapped on me. Ill thought out as that is purely because my bikes are spotless. Same for sharpening chainsaws or stacking fire wood. That's just being fussy. My saws are filthy, my commuter bike is a mess and only the fronts of the log piles are tidy.
Real OCD may be different to deal with and one element of that may be an inability to understand your concerns. In your shoes I would stand my ground but accept that you may have limit options.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

mattsccm wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 8:37am Hope you don't mind be asking but are we actually talking about diagnosed OCD or just someone who is fussy/enthusiatic? OCD is used pretty well at random nowadays and 99% of the time incorrectly. EG some friends suggest that I could have a OCD label slapped on me. Ill thought out as that is purely because my bikes are spotless. Same for sharpening chainsaws or stacking fire wood. That's just being fussy. My saws are filthy, my commuter bike is a mess and only the fronts of the log piles are tidy.
Real OCD may be different to deal with and one element of that may be an inability to understand your concerns. In your shoes I would stand my ground but accept that you may have limit options.
I would define someone as OCD if torque wrench and checking 3 or more times, maybe ritualistic would be a better term for them.
I'm happy if they wish to show an interest in a project and know more about it than me.

We were talking the other day about childhood bikes, mine were grotty second hand or grotty new from local bike shop and ridden to death with repairs from the local Bike guru who charged so little it was a hobby and subsidised for locals.

I think we have moved from riding their bikes and the current theme is 20-30 suggestions of Bikes, parts second hand and immaculate and possibly of combining parts which I think is a good thing.

I think setting up something for us will please them-even if they spend a day or more to point of perfection in their mind.

Currently we have wheeled back from- you need a carbon bike to a aluminium bike with or without carbon fork, shimano 105 and wheels secondhand refurbished.

They have been in the military and I think if sent to look at a purchase- you would get a forensic report and they would either get you a great deal or thrown out. ( anything they buy the pictures get blown up on a 42 inch screen)