Daughters first bike, help

GetfitTom

Daughters first bike, help

Post by GetfitTom »

Hello cycling UK,

Two days ago my daughter came up to me and asked if she could get a bicycle so we started having a look through some bikes that she had already spotted online. She turned and said "When I get my bike can I come out with you dad" Well my heart sank I was not expecting that. Now I have told her I will find a special bike for her and then we can go out together riding but, I am going to need some help picking out a decent bike Something I have in mind here http://www.for-sale.co.uk/mountain-bike but I hoping I am in the right place o get some real good ideas.

I will place a picture below of an example of that she was looking at, there is a lot of pink but I'm not sure if I should go pink or practical, I suppose both would be a winner. What bicycles would you guys get for your children or what have you gotten for your children already? My daughter is 9 years old, average weight and 5.1/2ft tall. All brands, designs, makes and models suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by GetfitTom on 14 Aug 2017, 5:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Re: Daughters first bike, help

Post by Bonefishblues »

Frog, Isla, Wiggins & Hoy all make "serious" bikes for children that are well-designed and lighter than average, but come ata price commensurate with this*. I guess it depends how serious she is about accompanying you, and what these rides are like.

I'm assuming that your daughter is 5ft and 1/2 an inch as opposed to 5.5ft, btw - the latter puts her firmly into adult bikes, of course.

*but the Isla in particular has really strong residual values when you come to sell it on.
gaz

Post by gaz »

http://www.cyclinguk.org/guide/buying-r ... your-child. Read the intro then scroll down to the 8-12 section.

Islabikes are generally regarded as the "gold standard" of kids bikes. Lightweight, quality parts and a joy to ride.

It's a significant investment, they hold their resale value remarkably well.

Some years since I looked at childrens' bikes, Frog bikes are an alternative and there may be others now.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

A child's eagerness to get out and ride (with her dad) could just evapourate at any instant.
A few rides on a cheaper bike before plunging in with good money (or effort) on a "special bike" could save a lot of disappointment.

A second hand Islabike can be sold on for what you paid minimising any losses and makes a fantastic ride if the eagerness remains.
The 26" wheel versions being the ones that you should start looking at, with a bit of an eye to her growing out of the smaller sizes soon.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

+1 for Islabikes but check what sort of riding your daughter wants to do. An Islabike isn't intended for the type of riding that today's children do in the park on a BMX.

(My eldest grandson has now done the 70mile GYBR twice,: last year when he was 10, and again this year. The first time, his gears weren't working properly after bashing about in the park. He now has a second-hand BMX for that type of riding.)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

meic wrote:A child's eagerness to get out and ride (with her dad) could just evapourate at any instant.
A few rides on a cheaper bike before plunging in with good money (or effort) on a "special bike" could save a lot of disappointment.

A second hand Islabike can be sold on for what you paid minimising any losses and makes a fantastic ride if the eagerness remains.
The 26" wheel versions being the ones that you should start looking at, with a bit of an eye to her growing out of the smaller sizes soon.
It's a bit "chicken and egg". If the cheaper bike is hard to ride then this might make her decide cycling with Dad isn't for her, but if she has a bike that suits her then she might be enthusiastic. However children often change interests, so even if she likes riding, she may well start on other activities. Such are parents' dilemmas :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
RodT

Post by RodT »

The bike in your photo looks like the specimen I bought my daughter. It was heavy, she wasn't strong enough to change gear and the suspension was unnecessary and just added to the weight. So I bought her a Frog bike- a much better proposition, being lighter and well-built, with good components and with no gimmicks. Not cheap, but when we came to sell it I found, as others have mentioned, that it kept its value very well.
Celebrate cycling with your daughter! There will come a time when, like mine, she won't want to go cycling with her dad any more.
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

You could also look at the kids Vitus bikes (only sold by Wiggle I think). They are a fair bit cheaper than isla/frog, although as others gave said those brands hold their resale value we'll. We have a Vitus twenty and it seems to be a good little bike.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

B'Twin (Decathlon's own-brand) have some decent value kids bikes. Not the greatest, but the money spent where it counts.

While I happily endorse Frog & Isla etc., a keen child can still get a lot out of a cheaper bike. Before my daughter had her fist Islabike she had a recycled Falcon that cost £20. Not perfect, but she loved it and it got her going Last week at the JCC I coach at I spent a couple hours riding round with an 8 yo on a nothing-special pink bike with a basket. She tackled a blue MTB trail on it and plenty of singletrack, proving attitude is more important than equipment.

But if you can afford it then a Frog/Isla etc. is lighter and better built, so easier to ride, it'll keep going longer between fettles and those fettles will be considerably easier. No need for suspension forks on a general-purpose first bike, they add weight and are almost always rubbish quality unless you're paying several hundred for the bike.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
honesty

Post by honesty »

I got my daughter a Frog bike. She absolutely loves it. She's 6 and we've done 14 mile rides no problem. The other benefit of Frog bikes they don't say much about is you can trade the old one in for the next size up for up to 50% of the price off depending on the condition of the traded bike. This means the expense is only really felt the first time you buy rather than every single time. Frog also sell 2nd hand Frogs that they have reconditioned through their website.

Isla bikes are very nice, but as Frog are very similar and less expensive I'd go for a Frog...
GetfitTom

Post by GetfitTom »

Wow, loads of replies guys thanks!! I am going to have a read through now and check out all the links! back shortly

Thanks
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

honesty wrote:I got my daughter a Frog bike. She absolutely loves it. She's 6 and we've done 14 mile rides no problem. The other benefit of Frog bikes they don't say much about is you can trade the old one in for the next size up for up to 50% of the price off depending on the condition of the traded bike. This means the expense is only really felt the first time you buy rather than every single time. Frog also sell 2nd hand Frogs that they have reconditioned through their website.

Isla bikes are very nice, but as Frog are very similar and less expensive I'd go for a Frog...

I didn't know about the Frog trade-up deal, so thanks for that :D

We've had an Isla and a Frog now. I think the Isla was the slightly better bike overall, but you pays your money etc.