keeping "control" of children whilst cycling

eileithyia

Re: keeping "control" of children whilst cycling

Post by eileithyia »

As with Si, I shout.... it is often the only quick and effective way of conveying some urgency, you can give the explanation afterwards.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pwa

Post by pwa »

Until a child has convinced you that they are steady and have reasonable roadcraft for the intended journey, I'm afraid the ratio should be one adult per child, with the child in front where you can see them. Basic roadcraft should be learned on very quiet roads, with traffic only being introduced later. The good news is that if my kids are anything to go by they pick things up very quickly.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We mostly rode two adult per child cycling independently when Mini V had no road craft. Then, I could just tell her to follow pappa, and I would ride a little further out and behind her. Sometimes I rode with her going across a junction; sometimes I just let her follow Mr. V.

Littlest mostly rides with me and Mini V. He was a bit older when he learned to ride, so I think his road craft was a little better from the start, but he's never been as sensible and cautious as Mini V. Mini V was allowed to ride on her own to friends houses and things from the time she was 7 years old, as long as she stayed away from the main road. Littlest is now 8, and I don't think I would trust him to ride somewhere on his own. He does very well with directions, instructions, and things, though. I trust him to ride in front of me when we cycle with other children, so I can focus on the other kids, and giving them instructions. I just don't trust him to look for traffic before making a maneuver.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willpom

Post by willpom »

martinn wrote:I take two of my children to school a couple of days per week

Back to the OP you may find it easier allowing your 6 yr old to ride at the front to control the pace. Tell your 9 yr old to help you and give directions to the younger. You can then come from the back and take primary to control your space when needed, keeping your kids on the inside.

The ratio for Bikeability is 1:6. Ideally you'd snake with 2 instructors per group (up to 12). If I had to snake a group of 6 on my own I'd do as above, but possibly get them to double up so they can all hear me and control the lane better, depending on the road.