Cycling with kids in Hampshire

jonorris72

Ideas for last minute half term break

Post by jonorris72 »

Hi

Can anyone recommend any geographical locations with decent family friendly cycling opportunities nearby for a last minute half term camping break with my 7 year old daughter? Ideally reasonably flat although a few hilly bits in places are OK! We've cycled a number of paths in the New Forest and spend a fair amount of time at Moors Valley Country Park as they have excellent cycle trails, so something along these lines would be great. Any suggestions gratefully received so I can get on & look at campsites :-)

Many thanks,
Jo
gaz

Re: Ideas for last minute half term break

Post by gaz »

Circular route based on the Viking Coastal Trail. Largely along sea wall and similar coastal defences. Fairly flat. Good for kids: https://twitter.com/WaterAidUK/status/9 ... 9485775872

Recent thread with some other ideas: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112652
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
jonorris72

Post by jonorris72 »

Perfect! Thanks gaz.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G930F using hovercraft full of eels.
jonorris72

Post by jonorris72 »

For the record I'm not a trendy consumer & I didn't authorise that 'signature!!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G930F using hovercraft full of eels.
gaz

Post by gaz »

jonorris72 wrote:For the record I'm not a trendy consumer & I didn't authorise that 'signature!!

It's an automated feature of TapaTalk, you should be able to switch it off in settings.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Drop kids off with Nana and Grandad.

Then you and other half;

Fill car with fuel ....
Drive just far enough away to be unable to rush back when the kids kick off.
Go to a hotel.
Spend the weekend cycling, lounging in hot tubs, walking along the beach.
Drink too much.
Make love.
Unwind.

Return with batteries charged.
Give bottle of gin to Nana and Scotch to Grandad.

Wait until next half term ... repeat !
:lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
hayers

Post by hayers »

The Tarka trail might be a good bet - decent off road stretches, decent playground at the big park in Bideford (pretty easy to access by bike from the trail) and cafe with playground at fremington quay, and various nice beaches and attractions if bored of riding or wet. About to book our 3rd family week there.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

landsurfer wrote:Drop kids off with Nana and Grandad.

Then you and other half;

Fill car with fuel ....
Drive just far enough away to be unable to rush back when the kids kick off.
Go to a hotel.
Spend the weekend cycling, lounging in hot tubs, walking along the beach.
Drink too much.
Make love.
Unwind.

Return with batteries charged.
Give bottle of gin to Nana and Scotch to Grandad.

Wait until next half term ... repeat !
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dangerous, by next year's half term there could be another one in the cradle.....

Would have suggested new Forest but you've been there..... Isle of Wight?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

There are several off-road trails in the Derbyshire Peak District. The Tissington and High Peak Trails, the Monsal Trail, the Manifold Trail. These are all converted old railway lines with gentle gradients for the most part. There are others nearby too - the 5 Pits Trail, the Middlewood Way and the track around Carsington Water.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MrBarnstormer

Post by MrBarnstormer »

The excellent Tarka trail has already been mentioned, but have you considered joining it with the other two cycle ways that pretty much link North to South coasts? The Granite Way at Oakhampton routes round to the dramatic Lydford Gorge with Tavistock and the start of the Drake Trail which runs down to Plymouth not far to the South via the enchanting Brent Tor church.

Mainly all flat ex railway lines, but a few quiet roads and hill climbs thrown in too.

I rode the three with my novice cyclist wife in the summer, we stayed in a quaint but tired campsite at Sourton near Oakhampton and rode South to Plymouth & back on day 1 (110km) then up to John's Deli in Instow and back on day two (120km). Obviously you'd break up the riding more with little legs, there is yurt camping at East Yarde on the Tarka for instance. We stayed centrally to never stray too far from the car but there are other options.

The Drake has some very interesting industrial history - it follows the rail tramway that follows one of the Leats that fed Plymouth with freshwater off the moor and you pass over the new Gem bridge built to replace the wooden Brunel one which was dynamited in the 60's. The Granite way is wild, short and includes the spectacular Meldon Viaduct. The Tarka is brilliant, with tight valleys, waterfalls and woods down to slower estuary and ultimately sandy beaches at Saunton or Woolacombe.

I take no credit for the suggested route, listen and be inspired by Jack Thurston's bikeshow podcast of his and another young family's ride of the route coast to coast with a train ride back.

Listen to the podcast here and be inspired!

http://thebikeshow.net/all-aboard-cycle ... -to-coast/
tod28

Post by tod28 »

Four campsites at near Cofton / Dawlish Warren give you easy access to the Exe Estuary trail - and the beach at Dawlish Warren is now rebuilt. You can cycle (flatish) to Exmouth (more beach) off road virtually all the way and also in to Exeter. Ferry back from Exmouth to Star Cross can assist with tired legs or the train runs the whole way from Exmouth to Starcross / Dawlish Warren.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

TrevA wrote:There are several off-road trails in the Derbyshire Peak District. The Tissington and High Peak Trails, the Monsal Trail, the Manifold Trail. These are all converted old railway lines with gentle gradients for the most part. There are others nearby too - the 5 Pits Trail, the Middlewood Way and the track around Carsington Water.

Beat me to it.

There's a very good campsite called Rivendale IIRC on the road to Ashbourne from Buxton. The tissington trail is across the road from it. The campsite does yurts, wooden yurts, camping pods and lodges for rent plus they'll take campervabs, motorhomes and caravans.

From there you can go north up the trail to where it joins the high peaks trail IIRC, then south east along that trail then cross over on small country roads (quiet). It might even go round a lake or reservoir i think.

That campsite has a little bar/restaurant in it and a nice Cafe during the day. Friendly staff and you can hire a wood fire heated hot tub that they forklift to where you are camping / yurting.

BTW I'm not telling you my other places in that area because we might be going to the peak district and places are getting booked up. Don't want competition for the places we're going to. A different part of the Peak district.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

+1 for the Tissington/High Peak/Manifold Valley/Monsal trails in the peak district. All have campsite and caravan sites adjacent or nearby. If its windy the Manifold trail is more sheltered than the others!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
jonorris72

Cycling with kids in Hampshire

Post by jonorris72 »

Please help! I love cycling with my daughter but she struggles with very hilly routes at the moment & a nice day out turns into a moaning nightmare! Can anyone recommend some reasonably flat & preferably off road routes in & around Hampshire we can try? We go to the New Forest a fair bit & Moors Valley but would love to mix it up a bit more. All suggestions greatly appreciated :)
hamster

Re: Cycling with kids in Hampshire

Post by hamster »

The New Forest is the obvious one - there are plenty of decent routes and many of the lanes in the Avon Valley or between Lymington and Beaulieu are fairly quiet.