Touring in Denmark

pukekos 3+1

Touring in Denmark

Post by pukekos 3+1 »

Hi,
This forum looks great! I'm a new user and looking for some advice about cycle touring with 2 kids (13 and 10) in Denmark. My husband and I have done a fair bit of touring so we don't need advice about that, just about route choices, good campsites, attractions etc. We land in Copenhagen in July and are away for 3 weeks. We love the beach and swimming. TIA
st599_uk

Re: Touring in Denmark

Post by st599_uk »

I stayed at a great Youth Hostel between Copenhagen Airport and Copenhagen City.

https://www.danhostel.dk/en/hostel/danh ... gen-amager

Had lots of great short rides in the area, was really clean and nice, could take the metro in to the city and would be a great base when arriving and departing.

Cheaper if you're a YHA member too.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
syklist

Post by syklist »

pukekos 3+1 wrote:Hi,
This forum looks great! I'm a new user and looking for some advice about cycle touring with 2 kids (13 and 10) in Denmark. My husband and I have done a fair bit of touring so we don't need advice about that, just about route choices, good campsites, attractions etc. We land in Copenhagen in July and are away for 3 weeks. We love the beach and swimming. TIA

You might find some useful information about cycling in Denmark if you search the "Touring and Expedition" forum. If you don't have maps already there is a good set of maps (covering the whole of Denmark) called "Cykelkort-Danmark" from the Dansk Cyklist Forbund.

I have a soft spot for Jutland although that means a train journey (or two) from Copenhagen. db.de seems to think that it is 2 1/2 hours direct train to Fredericia (hourly service). The North Sea Cycle Route is on the West coast from the German border all the way up to Skagen and is pretty easy cycling. The East Coast route offers more hills and a smattering of small towns. I can't remember staying at any particularly bad campsites on our Danish journeys, but they can be busy in peak season and we find them rather expensive.

I can't help much with attractions as our two are much younger and are satisfied with a sand pit, a beach and a play area. https://www.visitdenmark.com/ would be a good place to start looking.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Long time since I toured in Denmark, I stayed in a hostel between the airport and the city, not sure if it is the same one. Make sure bikes are well locked.... though locking bikes does not prevent saddles being stolen as my well broken in B17 was taken ..... surprise surprise there were a variety of secondhand bike shops along the route into the city......

Had no issues anywhere else.
Roskilde is an interesting place and has the Viking boat museum there.

There looked to be some nice beaches up the coast toward Aarlberg and Aarhus.... I basically went west and north... then got ferries back from Arhus and across the mouth of Roskilde Fjord to return to Copenhagen for my flight home.

Billund of course is home to Legoland.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells