Baby bike seat and pannier bags

crazydave789

Re: Baby bike seat and pannier bags

Postby crazydave789 » 5 Jun 2018, 9:04pm

A trailer is probably the better option, get a spare fitting and you can swap it over as often as you need to.

hamster

Postby hamster » 6 Jun 2018, 12:42pm

Our Burley trailer didn't have a permanent fitting so it swapped between bikes in the time it took to remove it.

wisdish

Baby bike seat and pannier bags

Postby wisdish » 9 Jun 2018, 6:57am

We too started with a trailer then went to a child seat on the pannier rack but I always rode with a front rack for the panniers otherwise the bike handled very oddly. The front pannier frame and bags evened out the weight and aside from being heavy it felt like my bike handled like normal.
Once age 3.5years our children graduated to a tandem and I still ride this with our youngest (now age 8) so we can vaguely keep up with her brother age 13 on longer rides and cyclocamping tours.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Jun 2018, 7:22am

Trailers are excellent, and a long term investment as well

You also have the situation where fitting does not compromise the present bike, panniers or other fittings. Also for the small expense of a second hitch you can share the load, swapping between bikes.

With regard to support and security fo the child, Hamax, Burley and Thule both do dedicated child supports for their trailers:

Or the other option that many people use is to transfer the car seat into the trailer.

IT is also worthwhile looking at Josie Dew's articles on the subject