Cycling activities for 7 year old

chamunt

Cycling activities for 7 year old

Post by chamunt »

My boy loves riding - we regularly do 30 + mile rides, albeit very slowly. Does anyone know if there are activities or clubs for this age range? I would love there to be a peer social element to his cycling. I've searched but links end up going round in circles.
Thanks
100%JR

Re: Cycling activities for 7 year old

Post by 100%JR »

Google GoRide.
Most areas have sessions and quite a few Cycle Clubs have Junior members/coaches.
My son started at 7.
There’s also Track/CX racing for 6+.My son is 10 now and as well as racing he regularly rides on the road with me.
British Cycling website is a good place to start for local clubs/rides/activities.
Where abouts are you?
There are 70+ kids in his CC and two or three other CCs around here with 100+ junior members.
There’s generallly 200+ turn up to races.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

As above but if not have you thought about creating a casual group yourself via social media/local newspaper?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Whereabouts are you? You shouldn't be too specific, but if you can say a town, part of a county, etc. members may have some suggestions about family friendly clubs.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
chamunt

Post by chamunt »

Thanks guys, that's very useful. We are Hertfordshire, Stevanage way.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

A couple of CCs here who have Juniors or might be able to advise:-
http://www.ccashwell.com/
http://www.stevenagecc.org.uk/
Jontrev

Post by Jontrev »

Off road Racing
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

I have rigged up a dynamo attached to a training machine,and our five year old generated currant for his oet iguana.
drossall

Post by drossall »

My club, the Hitchin Nomads, was involved in this year's Muddy Monsters series - kids' cyclo-cross. That site looks only partly developed, but this Google search returns images - the ones of kids are mostly from our event, I think. Should give you the idea.

We've also been involved in trying to get some coaching off the ground on the RAF station at Henlow (wrong side of Hitchin for you). Don't think it's running at this moment, but I could ask.

There's also the Welwyn Wheelers who should be good for juniors. There's an outdoor velodrome at Welwyn where various clubs do events from time to time.

There's a mountain biking facility at Rowney Warren near Shefford. In broad terms, the nearer you go to the middle of the wood, the more challenging it gets. Round the outside is fine for family rides.

I'm hazy about what Stevenage CTC do for young riders, but they seem to have some, judging by their site. They are pretty active.

PM me if I can help more.