Islabikes 20” tyre replacement

ratherbeintobago

Islabikes 20” tyre replacement

Post by ratherbeintobago »

What tyres for a Beinn 20? The back SB8 in #1 spawn’s bike is starting to look a bit perished so replacement time is upon us; would ideally like something reasonably light and fast rolling about a 20x1.4.

The options look to be:

Another SB8
Isla’s own tyres (Réidh/Réidh Pro)
Schwalbe Little Joe

Any other options or recommendations?
Last edited by ratherbeintobago on 29 Aug 2018, 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Re: Islabikes 20” tyre replacement

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't have experience of the others but sought out the SB8's to replace the tyres on daughter's Frog. I really rate them as an all-rounder.
meic

Post by meic »

I like the Marathon Racer for a mixture of light, fast, rugged, treaded and price on a general purpose bike.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/20-x- ... 6/?geoc=US

For even lighter and faster but more fragile and no tread the Kojaks often turn up quite affordable

This company used to do a very good range but seems to be largely out of stock at the moment.
http://www.wrhpv.com/ukshop/tyres/406/index.html

both those links charge p&p on top.
Yma o Hyd
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The marathon seems slightly weighty for a kid's bike, perhaps?
ratherbeintobago

Bonefishblues wrote:I don't have experience of the others but sought out the SB8's to replace the tyres on daughter's Frog. I really rate them as an all-rounder.

Only issue with the SB8s is that they’re wire bead and probably slightly weighty, but otherwise they’d be an easy default choice.

Don’t know about the Réidh non-Pros

Bonefishblues wrote:The marathon seems slightly weighty for a kid's bike, perhaps?

She spends a lot of time on hardpack-y surfaces so I’d rather she had a bit more tread. 340g doesn’t seem woeful for weight though…
meic

Post by meic »

The Marathon is 530g, The Marathon Racer is 340g.
The Marathon Racer is still a fairly rugged tyre and stands up to an adult riding all sorts of crap surfaces.
If you are subject to a lot of sidewall damage then the very thick sidewalls of the Marathon would be worth it.
Yma o Hyd
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I don't have experience of the others but sought out the SB8's to replace the tyres on daughter's Frog. I really rate them as an all-rounder.

Only issue with the SB8s is that they’re wire bead and probably slightly weighty, but otherwise they’d be an easy default choice.

Don’t know about the Réidh non-Pros

Bonefishblues wrote:The marathon seems slightly weighty for a kid's bike, perhaps?

She spends a lot of time on hardpack-y surfaces so I’d rather she had a bit more tread. 340g doesn’t seem woeful for weight though…

I've tried to look up exact weight but couldn't find it. Subjectively, they pass my 'that's ok for weight' test! :lol:
ETA
Didn't try hard enough. Sub-300 in Pro flavour, which is all the thinnest ones come as:

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-eu/fin ... duct-specs
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Been impressed with Maxxis DTH, but check width at 38mm. Definitely light and fast, but might be overkill for a kid's utility bike though!
"42"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ratherbeintobago wrote:What tyres for a Beinn 20? The back SB8 in #1 spawn’s bike is starting to look a bit perished so replacement time is upon us; would ideally like something reasonably light and fast rolling about a 20x1.4.

The options look to be:

Another SB8
Isla’s own tyres (Réidh/Réidh Pro)
Schwalbe Black Jack

Any other options or recommendations?

Be careful with teh 20x1.4 designation, there are a wide range of 20" tyres and the diameter varies by about an inch and a half

YIU are better off using the xx-406, xx-451 designation, that should be on the tyre or wheel
ratherbeintobago

Existing tyres are 38-406 by the look of it, but I know from MTB experience that the first number is random…