Places to cycle in the North East?

TopHat'N'Cape1888

Places to cycle in the North East?

Post by TopHat'N'Cape1888 »

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to this forum - pleased to meet you all.

I was just wondering if there were any other users on here from the north east of England really. I know a fair few routes around my local area which I take the kids, but we're starting to run out of areas! Does anyone know anywhere in the north east which would be a good shout?

I'm open to places which may take a bit of driving to get to!

Thanks in advance
cyclop

Re: Places to cycle in the North East?

Post by cyclop »

Kielder reservoir? A lovely circuit or just out and back.Bit of a drive though not too far.All forest trail ,non technical,ideal for family rides.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

Waskerley way?
TopHat'N'Cape1888

cyclop wrote:Kielder reservoir? A lovely circuit or just out and back.Bit of a drive though not too far.All forest trail ,non technical,ideal for family rides.

I've had a look and it looks stunning, we will definitely have to ride up there some time soon! Thanks for the suggestion, I will come back to you with an update once we've been. :)
TopHat'N'Cape1888

Zulu Eleven wrote:Waskerley way?

Ah yes, great place for a ride! We don't live too far from there. Done it to death, maybe I'll see you some time. :)
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

Ok, so if you’re in that area then the obvious ones are the rail lines like derwent walk and Chester-le-street to Consett

Chopwell Woods always good for some forest track riding

More mountain biking than you can shake a stick at around Blanchland

If you want a real treat - head for a drive over to Haltwhistle (maybe take in some views of the wall on the way) park up at Gilsland and head out past Moscow & Spadeadam up over butterburn flow. About 8 miles of lovely tarmac road with next to no traffic in a real wild place with amazing views

Similar to be had riding the forest roads around stonehaugh
Luke A-D

Post by Luke A-D »

Souter Lighthouse to St Mary's Lighthouse (including the Ferry at South Shields).
Prudhoe to Tynemouth via Newcastle and/or Gateshead Quayside (or any part of that route).
South Tyne Trail from Haltwistle (former railway line).
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

NCN1 from Sunderland down to Stockton is lovely and passes though a few villages so opportunities to leave the car and only do a section.
You know about NCN7 waskerley way, so presumably also know about the rest of NCN7 down to Sunderland, and NCN14 (Derwent walk then south of the Tyne to South Shields) and NCN72 (north of the Tyne to Tynemouth).

There is a nice loop around Derwent reservoir which is probably a lot closer than Kielder.
There is also the section of NCN14 that runs from Consett down to Bishop Auckland and there's other trails. Durham council have maps of the cycleways, with some suggested loops
Hamsterley Forest has some good cycling, but does have some steep hills away from the valley.