Help me! Complete novice who needs to travel with toddler.

landsurfer

Re: Help me! Complete novice who needs to travel with toddler.

Postby landsurfer » 8 Jul 2019, 8:09pm

Pashley Trike with kiddie seats fitted .... we took our 2 to primary school for years on one ...
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 9 Jul 2019, 8:35am

skyhawk wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
edited to add: The risks of cycling are similar to those of walking, and the risks of driving are much higher, if you include the difference due to benefits that result from active travel. In other words, the benefits of active travel far outweigh the risk. As a parent of two kids and someone whose profession is safety & risk, my kids have been on bike since they were very small.

Just being over cautious as being a single father of three

The point is that if you take your kids around in a car, you are actually choosing the higher risk over the lesser. Because of the pollution they breathe, the lack of exercise, and the damage to environment, they will have to pay the price for that when they are older.

Cyclists, on average, live longer.

I understand that it seems like the risk is lower. That is because of vulnerability, and because the risks are immediate. It is difficult for our brains to weigh long term risks against immediate risks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 9 Jul 2019, 11:23am

skyhawk wrote:As a single father of three sons(all their lives) just my word of caution, as a driver like most of us are, i would personally never have a youngster on a bike on the main road especially one of those LOW follow me things, just think how invisible to morons recumbent bikes are.

I ride a recumbent for touring. If you think they're invisible I suspect you haven't. The experience I have is I get noticed, and I get more space than when I'm on an upwrong.

skyhawk wrote:I just would never want my son to be 2' off the ground next to a 40t lorry

If they were on a "normal" bike they wouldn't be clearly safer, and even if they were in a car, if a 40 tonne truck tries to occupy the same bit of road at the same time I don't think the airbags would help much.

skyhawk wrote:Just being over cautious as being a single father of three

You're being understandably anxious as a father, numbers are not relevant. However, that natural and understandable anxiety isn't standing you or your children in good stead, as Vorpal states.

I would suggest a look at Time Gill's Cycling and Children and Young People for a good discussion of the realities of risk and cycling for children.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 9 Jul 2019, 1:11pm

Vorpal wrote:
skyhawk wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
edited to add: The risks of cycling are similar to those of walking, and the risks of driving are much higher, if you include the difference due to benefits that result from active travel. In other words, the benefits of active travel far outweigh the risk. A

Are you being serious ??????????????????

Have you measured the "height" of a child on a follow bike and a cars exhaust

Hmmmmm unhealthy in a car until they get to the school where they have sports as opposed to risk of car hitting small bike, I can live with that as single father of three
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 9 Jul 2019, 1:14pm

Well my Scenic was hit by a 40 tonner on a roundabout with my three sons in the back, a few shouts and that was it, so I am happy
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 9 Jul 2019, 1:16pm

"I ride a recumbent for touring. If you think they're invisible I suspect you haven't. The experience I have is I get noticed, and I get more space than when I'm on an upwrong."

I have, and have many disabled friends who do, and have unfortunately see a rider HIT where I lived, trendle Lane Bere Alston, Devon, a narrow country lane just a car wide, no thanks

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 9 Jul 2019, 2:22pm

skyhawk wrote:"I ride a recumbent for touring. If you think they're invisible I suspect you haven't. The experience I have is I get noticed, and I get more space than when I'm on an upwrong."

I have, and have many disabled friends who do, and have unfortunately see a rider HIT where I lived, trendle Lane Bere Alston, Devon, a narrow country lane just a car wide, no thanks

I'm afraid the reality here is you have a very poor understanding of risk and the nature of anecdotal data, and also of the long term benefits of regular cycling. Please read the Gill report I highlighted.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 10 Jul 2019, 11:00pm

skyhawk wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
skyhawk wrote:

Are you being serious ??????????????????

Have you measured the "height" of a child on a follow bike and a cars exhaust

Hmmmmm unhealthy in a car until they get to the school where they have sports as opposed to risk of car hitting small bike, I can live with that as single father of three

Research commissioned by Global Action Plan (GAP) and the UK Health Alliance on Climate Change said passengers in cars breathe in nine times as much pollution than those completing the same journey on a bike or by foot.

Meanwhile, parents are being warned that driving their children to school is exposing them to significantly more harmful levels of pollution than if they were to cycle or walk.

https://www.bewiser.co.uk/news/car-insu ... en-breathe

Other studies have obtained somewhat different results. Those comparing by distance (4 km walked, driven, or cycled) in city traffic find cyclists are the least exposed because it's the fastest mode, whilst pedestrians are the most exposed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 12 Jul 2019, 2:12pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Do you know, that fear of a trailer being visible was something my parents lectured us about when we used ours.

Truth is vehicles see it better because it's different. They work out very quickly that there's probably a young child in there. That kind of wakes then up to the danger they present. The result is some of the biggest gaps between us and the car overtaking I've ever seen. Even skip lorries gave us a wide berth.

^This.

I use the trailer with 4yo twinse and get lots of space from cars. Conversely when I cycle with a child seat I get no special behaviour from cars. Trailers are 100% better than a kid on the back, easier to ride, less chance for them to fall over sideways, no kicking them in the head as you swing your leg over the crossbar (and you'll need a crossbar to hold them up with your legs).

The other option is child in seat at back, walk to school (using bike as a pushchair) and then cycle from there.
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 20 Jul 2019, 7:48am

I am a big fan of the long john style of cargo bike - I currently have two although I am trying sell one at the moment - a Bakfiets which is designed exactly for the sort of journeys you are talking about. Other similar makes would be Baboe, Gazelle Cabby and Urban Arrow. That last one is a dedicated electric assist bike so a bit more expensive but good if you have any hills or longer distances to travel. I have taken my bikes to events where people have had a go on them and not everyone has got on with them, so definitely try before you buy. Probably their main disadvantage is their size making secure storage at home an issue if you have a flat or small house without a garage.
An alternative that might suit you would be the Big Billy from Rodford bikes:-
https://www.rodfordbuilt.co.uk/
If you are very unsure about cycling you might prefer a box trike, three wheel stability and large carrying capacity but again harder to store securely at home and they do not take corners so well. I see someone else has mentioned Circe Morpheus and I have quite a number of posts in various forums from people who like the Circe Helios tandem.
The main problem with getting a cargo bike in the UK is their are only a handful of dealers - I was fortunate to have one fairly local to us where I could go to try some out. London and Cambridge are the two hot spots, otherwise there's Practical cycles in the north west, Really Useful Bikes in Bristol, Kids and Family Cycles near Bournemouth and possibly Kinetics in Scotland.
Be interested to see what you end up going with.