Bike for 7 yo - opinion on Python Elite 20, please

briscaF1

Bike for 7 yo - opinion on Python Elite 20, please

Post by briscaF1 »

Hi all. New poster here so please be gentle :D

I'm after a new bike for my 7 year old who has more than outgrown his MX14. Ideally, if this lasts, it will be passed on to his sister, who is 4.

I've looked at second hand (Isla, Frog, Ridgeback etc) and also new (Python, Wild 20 etc) and my son liked the Python Elite 20; it's 9.1 kg and easy for him to lift to his chest. Local bike shop has one on offer for £170.

It makes sense to me to buy this instead of new higher price options as the spec on it isn't far off the Frog and it's weight is maybe 0.5kg more plus I hate to think of a £300 bike getting thrown onto the floor etc. Only downside is re-sale value, perhaps, but if we keep it for years and it lasts well enough for two kids to use, this isn't a problem. I could buy second hand but don't really want the lottery of it.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Python bikes? It's hard to find reviews for them but they seem to be offered by quite a few bike shops and, as I say, the spec looks good for the money.

Thanks
PedaloLarry

Re: Bike for 7 yo - opinion on Python Elite 20, please

Post by PedaloLarry »

Can't give any helpful advice, but we're hunting for affordable bike for our 6 yr old. So gonna follow your lead and add Python Elite 20 to our list as well as secondhand Frogs. Ta!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't know Python bikes, but I've seen kids on a wide variety of bikes, and them liking the bike is often key in getting them to ride. Even cheap bikes will normally hold up through 2 or 3 kids before they need an overhaul. They are just frustrating to deal
with because of cheap bits, brake systems that are fiddly to adjust, etc.

If the spec is decent and it doesn't weigh a ton, I'd say go for it.

One of the benefits, however, in more expensive bikes like the Isla or Frog is that they hold resale value. After your two kids have used it, you can still sell the Isla for around the new cost of a Python (or perhaps a bit more, depending on the spec), so the difference in cost is not a great as it seems.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

I also hadn't heard of Python bikes, but they look pretty good. My 12 year old daughter is on her second Frog. One advantage is that they have a trade-in option which made the upgrade even easier, and the price the shop gave me wasn't too bad. She wanted the same bike and colour again, so she obviously likes the Frogs!
briscaF1

Post by briscaF1 »

Thanks for the replies.

I can't disagree that the Frogs and the like hold their value better from looking at eBay etc and that must be for a good reason.

The guy in the local independent bike shop told me that it was a bit like the choice between buying an iPhone or a cheaper android device. Similar performance but less kudos.

Like I said, the resale problem isn't so bad even I got for £40 for it after 5 years as I'd almost certainly lose 100 quid off on a Frog over the same period.

To be honest, it ticks all the boxes for me:
Simple, robust gears.
Alloy brakes and levers.
Thumb shifter
Sealed bearings
Light weight.

I might just have to get my old Univega Zigzag out of retirement to have a ride with him.
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

I bought Islabikes for my grandchildren. They fly on them. A heavy ill fitting bike can put them off for good. (Mind you I started out on an ancient Ladies bike that I couldn’t reach the saddle on) not cheap, but they pass down to younger siblings, still in good nick, and as said above, resale value is good.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
KFT

Post by KFT »

Wiggins Chartres is currently £40 off @ £210 - seems to tick all of the boxes and 8.8kg

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... itEALw_wcB
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

KFT wrote:Wiggins Chartres is currently £40 off @ £210 - seems to tick all of the boxes and 8.8kg

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... itEALw_wcB

Live link for the Wiggins
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/kids-bik ... 50QAvD_BwE
hamster

Post by hamster »

briscaF1 wrote:The guy in the local independent bike shop told me that it was a bit like the choice between buying an iPhone or a cheaper android device. Similar performance but less kudos.

I'd disagree. Our kids went through a series of Islabikes, some new, some bought used. One we sold at a profit after two years, two for almost the same as purchase (within £20). The final one was used for a school commute for 5 years, had a new chain and tyres and finally cost us £100 in resale value compared to new. They also needed minimal maintenance, the brakes were the right size for small hands and they fitted perfectly.

(Incidentally it's worth comparing the resale value of iPhones compared to Android whose value seems to be as a beer mat after 4 years)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

hamster wrote:
briscaF1 wrote:The guy in the local independent bike shop told me that it was a bit like the choice between buying an iPhone or a cheaper android device. Similar performance but less kudos.

I'd disagree. Our kids went through a series of Islabikes, some new, some bought used. One we sold at a profit after two years, two for almost the same as purchase (within £20). The final one was used for a school commute for 5 years, had a new chain and tyres and finally cost us £100 in resale value compared to new. They also needed minimal maintenance, the brakes were the right size for small hands and they fitted perfectly.

(Incidentally it's worth comparing the resale value of iPhones compared to Android whose value seems to be as a beer mat after 4 years)

As someone carefully pointed out to me when I was explaining it to her v-a-v her own child, not everyone can afford the up-front cost of an Isla.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agreed - of our 5, 3 were bought secondhand.

The point I was trying to make was to refute the 'fashion' dismissal of more upmarket bike brands by that retailer. Buy cheap, pay twice.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

hamster wrote:Agreed - of our 5, 3 were bought secondhand.

The point I was trying to make was to refute the 'fashion' dismissal of more upmarket bike brands by that retailer. Buy cheap, pay twice.

There are some shockers out there, but at a price point, looking to be c£170 on the thread, things converge more than they ever have done as others have cottoned onto the segment.
hamster

Post by hamster »

That's certainly true, others finally worked out that the market for decently thought-out kids bikes was real.