Lyme park

ratherbeintobago

Lyme park

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I was under the impression that Lyme Park has a family cycling loop (like some other NT properties eg. Blickling/Nostall) but my google-fu is failing me, and the Corona’d NT website isn’t clear. Can anyone help?
roubaixtuesday

Re: Lyme park

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Pretty sure it doesn't have any sort of cycle loop. Not sure if you're familiar, but it's very hilly.

The Middlewood way nearby is the nearest similar thing that comes to mind. If you want a loop rather than out and back you can use the Macclesfield Canal which runs parallel for a return.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

No, there isn’t a family cycling loop in Lyme Park (although I have heard that they have been making a mountain biking track). There is only one driveway up to the property and car parks, which is a long uphill, and therefore two way traffic.
You can actually get in/out of Lyme Park, by bike, at West Park Gate (if it is currently open???) but that’s a bumpy track.
From West Park Gate you can eventually get to both the Macclesfield Canal or the Middlewood Way (you’d need a map).
Access, in this area, to the canal is quite difficult with narrow stiles/gateways/steps.
The canal towpath is too narrow to pass others safely to give the required 2m space and the Canals & River Trust have been trying to discourage people from using it - particularly where boats are moored.
The Middlewood Way can be accessed at Higher Poynton (it runs from Marple to Macclesfield). However, the MW is very popular and has been exceedingly busy during lockdown and I suspect it will continue to be so. During the last week we have been doing a short stretch of approx 1 mile (at the Marple end) and most people, including us, try to stick to the 2m rule but there are a number of people who think that it is ok to hog the whole path.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Thanks, have actually been through the West Park Gate and along the canal with one of my friends who lives round there, still a bit nervous about the spawn riding their bikes into the canal…

I was wondering if Lyme had a Nostell-style loop, but evidently not.