Bike rack how to tie on / secure bikes

Emmett2018

Bike rack how to tie on / secure bikes

Post by Emmett2018 »

Family has all got bikes now, so fancied an impromptu day out. someone's selling a car bike rack near me that has all the straps to put on the car put the bar has three sponge bits for the bike frames to rest on but nothing else to secure them to the forks on the rack. What do people use or should the rack have extra straps to tie the bikes on? I've seen a few like this and not sure as we've never used a bike rack before. Thanks
Emmett2018

Re: Bike rack how to tie on / secure bikes

Post by Emmett2018 »

https://oypla.com/sports-leisure/outdoo ... Z8EALw_wcB

For reference it would be abit like the above, bungee cords?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Emmett2018 wrote:https://oypla.com/sports-leisure/outdoor-sports/universal-2-bike-bicycle-hatchback-car-mount-rack-stand-carrier?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIsAJfg-kteDu02tVOsoL8o76OVEb7RRxsldjnqfXz7J08CoGtHabUUFD39sS4aAuZ8EALw_wcB

For reference it would be abit like the above, bungee cords?

Looks a bit grim for anything you value. A ratchet strap should hold firmer than a bungee but there’s going to be a lot of grinding and bumping together.
Something like this holds them well and at least tries to separate them.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Would NOT use bungee cords.
These will work fine:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Tie-Do ... MVMZTXV1YC

They are similar to the ones on my Thule rack but about half the price.

I would also be very careful to securely fix such a rack to your car,there are a lot of stresses on that type of rack when loaded particularly when cornering and at speed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Clouded Leopard

Post by Clouded Leopard »

I use the Thule Ride On 3 Tow Ball Mounted. In addition to the Thule supplied straps us two additional straps to really secure the cycle(s). Downside is of course you need the towing kit on your car.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
Emmett2018

Post by Emmett2018 »

Thanks guys that's useful!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I use cam buckle straps and toe straps.

With the design shown, please take care that the rack rests on and secures to metal parts of the car back, not plastic bumpers or the back window else it can crack the glass or plastic and drop the bikes in an emergency stop. Also, if the bikes obscure the number plate or compulsory brake lights then it needs a lighting board on the back too, which can be a hidden expense of up to £100 if you've not got the socket in the boot already.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Halla

Post by Halla »

Before committing to a bike rack, it is worth checking that the carrying vehicle is capable of carrying the load.

Best to check the combined weight of the bikes and compare to the carrying capacity.

The law was changed a few years ago and there should be advice in your handbook as well as the bike rack manufacturers manual.

Agree in a lot of cases you will need a number plate and lighting board.

I have seen some horrors recently, tiny cars with far too many bikes.

Andy
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

May be out of your price bracket, but I've got a Saris Gran Fondo rack, and can highly recommend them.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/bike-racks/saris-gran-fondo-2-bike-rack-review/

Bike hangs vertially on the back of the car - doesn't obstruct lights or number plate, so legal straight off. Claim to fit all cars. If you have plastic trim on the rear of the car, rather than metal, then they attach with a set of 'dumb bell' type fittings which go inside the boot. Only carry two bikes though.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Halla wrote:..
I have seen some horrors recently, tiny cars with far too many bikes.

Or cycles lying on the motorway having fallen off
External cycle racks are just too dodgy and dangerous, straps could break, one might forget to tighten them, they work loose at speed etc etc
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I think that's a bit extreme. Breakage would be rare to non existent if checked occasionally. You can forget many things. Not a cause for concern.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Or cycles lying on the motorway having fallen off
External cycle racks are just too dodgy and dangerous, straps could break, one might forget to tighten them, they work loose at speed etc etc

Which is why I add a couple of extra straps, over and above what the manufacturer supplies. Unlikely that they will all break / come loose at the same time, and if one does I will have ample time to pull over and stop.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

chris_suffolk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Or cycles lying on the motorway having fallen off

Which is why I add a couple of extra straps, over and above what the manufacturer supplies. Unlikely that they will all break / come loose at the same time, and if one does I will have ample time to pull over and stop.

If only one breaks and flies off it could be curtains for the vehicle behind you, a strap buckle hitting the windscreen at 70 mph
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If only one breaks and flies off it could be curtains for the vehicle behind you, a strap buckle hitting the windscreen at 70 mph

I think that for the strap to break, and come untied from the carrier, and the buckle to break loose from the end (i.e the cam fails) would be infinitesimally small odds. More likely that I throw a stone up with a tyre, which is something that happens and does crack a windscreen, but never any more consquence than that. Screens are designed NOT to fail, even under extreme impact.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

chris_suffolk wrote:Which is why I add a couple of extra straps, over and above what the manufacturer supplies. Unlikely that they will all break / come loose at the same time, and if one does I will have ample time to pull over and stop.

Exactly. Avoid any single point of failure.

And stop and check after a couple of kilometres. It's amazing how often you can snug things up a bit.

Jonathan