Monsal Trail from Bakewell

Chris56

Monsal Trail from Bakewell

Post by Chris56 »

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I have recently done this route with my wife and son and it was fantastic:

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... nsal-trail

Absolutely stunning ride with beautiful scenery, tunnels and an iconic viaduct over the Monsal Valley. Just under 19 miles there and back, there is only a slight incline which makes for an easy return ride. Its a nice even surface for the full length.

Its recommended that you park in Bakewell itself and ride to the start of the trail but if you go on a quiet day its possible to park on the roadfor free at the very start of the trail near the Coombs road Viaduct. Theres a couple of good cafes near either end of the route but also plenty of places to stop.

Highly recommended if you want to take the bikes for a family ride in the Peak district.
Shreds

Re: Monsal Trail from Bakewell

Post by Shreds »

Yes its great for families but can become very busy in summer months without lockdown. The tunnels (which years ago were not open) are a sublime experience and do avoid having to negotiate walking through rivers around Chee Dale that were once the only off road alternative!

Probably one of the best Sustrans routes. (And you can access the trail on the very edge of Bakewell too if you know your routes).
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

I can certainly imagine it being busy at peak times.
So glad that they got the tunnels open. Definately one of my favourite places for days out.

We also did the Tissington trail from Parsley Hay to Biggin, then across to Minninglow, then back along the High Peak Trail. Shorter ride but the climb upto Minninglow is challenging with a child on the back! Quite a few uneven farm tracks but worth it for the view.

Parsley Hay is also excellent for star gazing.
Oggi

Post by Oggi »

If Sustrans can eventually sort the link through Buxton and join the High Peak trail it would make one of the finest rides in the UK. And of course if the railway folk don’t get their way and reopen the line.
PH

Post by PH »

Oggi wrote:If Sustrans can eventually sort the link through Buxton and join the High Peak trail it would make one of the finest rides in the UK. And of course if the railway folk don’t get their way and reopen the line.

I think it's down to Derbyshire County Council rather than Sustrans, though progress is being made, I look forward to the White Peak Loop being complete. Even when so, I suspect the highlights will still be on the Monsal Trail.
https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/c ... -loop.aspx
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

That would be fantastic if they pull it off
honesty

Post by honesty »

I cycled the Manifold on one day camped over night near Hartington and did the Tissington trail on the next with my 9 year led a few weeks ago. Both sublime track. Unfortunately we never got round to the Monsal trail. Maybe next time.

The white peaks trail looks like it could be a truly fantastic route if only they could sort out the 3 breaks in it (Rowsley to Bakewell, both sides of Buxton, and Cromford to Matock) can’t see a good solution for Buxton though.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A few years ago I did an Audax, that took in all 4 of the Derbyshire rail trails. It started at Hulme End at the northern end of the Manifold trail, which we did first. From Waterhouses at the southern end, we went over some killer climbs to Ashbourne and the Tissington trail, then onto the High Peak trail to Longcliffe, then over to Bakewell via Winster/Elton and onto the Monsal trail. From the northern end we cycled over to Chelmorton and picked up the northern end of the High Peak trail, back to Hartington and then back to Hulme End.

Last September, we stayed at a campsite at Great Longstone and did the Monsal Trail with our new dog in a trailer, first up to the northern end and back to the cafe at Millers Dale, then cycled back down to Bakewell for a bag of chips, then back up the trail to Great Longstone. The next day, we drove to Middleton Top and cycled up to Parsley Hay and back on the High Peak Trail.
Attachments
Monsal Head viaduct
Monsal Head viaduct
Millers Dale Cafe
Millers Dale Cafe
Last edited by TrevA on 14 Feb 2021, 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

Saw this thread pop up and I thought it was going to be this story - Posted on Facebook yesterday
Due to large icicles and icy conditions on the ground, tunnels on the Monsal Trail will be closed from today for safety reasons.
Please do not enter the tunnels until they are safely re-opened.
https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/

SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

What happened to the actual Coombs road Viaduct:

Was it demolished because it was unsafe?
I couldnt find any info about it last time I looked.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
andy74

Post by andy74 »

still there last time I looked
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6599381
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

It wasnt there in 2018: the path just ends before the road at a conspicuous absence of a viaduct across said road....and a path down to said road to cycke back up to bakewell.

I cycled to the end of the path and was a bit surprised by the abrupt end...even if I couldnt cycle across the viaduct I expected a sign saying end of trail and ingo on viaduct
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 19 Mar 2021, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy74

Post by andy74 »

the photo in the link was taken in September 2020.
It's grade 2 listed.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

But is that date correct, have you seen it after june 2018? The path stopped with obvious lack of bridge across road and I had to go down a earth path to that road back to bakewell.
andy74

Post by andy74 »

Yes absolutely certain. Have a look on google satellite view or street view it appears on both. The path ends some distance back from it and drops down to the road