Leisurely Family Rides with a Picnic.

Leopoldo

Leisurely Family Rides with a Picnic.

Post by Leopoldo »

In a feature on 'leisurely rides with a picnic' in the Sunday Telgraph Travel Supplement a 47 mile route in the Yorkshire Dales was recommended. The route included climbs of Park Rash and Fleet Moss.
I didn't think this was a sensible suggestion and in expressing my opinion to the editor I added that Park Rash had been the venue for the National Hill Climb Championships and that the descents may prove dangerous for inexperienced (i.e.family) cyclists.
In expecting some form of acceptance of my views,I received instead a justification of the article on the grounds that a range of cycling abilities had to be catered for in the publication. I felt this completely missed the point, since the three page spread,including the front page,was headed 'Leisure Rides with a Picnic Stop'!
I now wonder if I overreacted and was too critical in my comments. I would be interested to know if members who know that part of the country and Park Rash and Fleet Moss would consider the 47 mile circuit a suitable leisure ride?
mjr

Re: Leisurely Family Rides with a Picnic.

Post by mjr »

If it was clearly labelled as a ride for a family of elite racing riders or similar then it might be ok!

But no, that's not the sort of thing I expect will ever be on our "pedal and picnic" rides even when travelling to hillier areas is more acceptable again!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Re: Leisurely Family Rides with a Picnic.

Post by Vorpal »

My family's idea of a leisurely ride with picnic is more like 10 miles.

If I suggested a 47 mile ride my children would mutiny. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom