Recommend a 1st pedal bike for a toddler

Thisishalloween86

Recommend a 1st pedal bike for a toddler

Post by Thisishalloween86 »

Hi all. My toddler has been riding a balance bike and getting pretty good. I want to get her first pedal bike soon.

I'm reading great things about woom2 as a first bike but it's much more expensive than say a typical Halfords bike. Has anyone got any experience that can recommend a good brand?

I am willing to spend the money if my daughter will have a better riding experience and learn quicker but I don't just want to be forking money out for a brand name really. Thanks :D
Jdsk

Re: Recommend a 1st pedal bike for a toddler

Post by Jdsk »

Have a look at Isla Bikes. They are excellent.
https://www.islabikes.co.uk
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/bikes/cnoc/

But they are expensive. There's an infrastructure for passing them on: Gumtree might be the best channel, especially with current restrictions.

Jonathan
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

A whole bike for the price of a tyre isnt going to be great, fortunately the child doesnt know otherwise so will enjoy it. It will be HEAVY and hard work. Arguably a good thing to tire the little darlings out. The other downside is waste, by the time its grown out of its ready to be shipped back to China, melted down and made into more junk.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The CycleSprog web site is very good for this sort of stuff: see https://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/

There's a review section and lots of good advice.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Thisishalloween86

Post by Thisishalloween86 »

Thanks everyone. I think my daughter might have decided for me as today I showed her the woom bikes and asked which colour she liked and she picked the purple one. I never mentioned buying her one but she then requested to go out on her bike for a second time today and was most indignant that I hadn't magically produced the pedal bike I'd been showing her :lol: And then she kept taking my phone asking to see the purple bike again. I've told her if she practices really hard on the balance bike then santa might bring one
hamster

Post by hamster »

A quality bike will hold its value. Over the years my kids worked their way through 4 Islabikes - two we sold on at a profit after being outgrown, the other two did 4+ years of solid daily work with the ride to school and still cost use less than £100 overall.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Thisishalloween86 wrote:I think my daughter might have decided for me as today I showed her the woom bikes and asked which colour she liked and she picked the purple one.

I suspect you are right, especially bearing in mind your other post! If you can possibly fund it I think you should. :D
It might be expensive, but it isn't the most expensive. It looks like a very desirable bike - especially in purple and it looks as if it will comfortably meet her needs for at least a couple of years and then there is the prospect of selling it on. The biggest downside will likely be managing things so that it doesn't get left lying around unattended in a park...

Told you not to worry about her interests!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I can’t recommend a first bike but recall my own children getting theirs. Four points:
Whatever it is needs to have stabilisers that work well, remove easily enough and don’t interfere much with upright riding.
Spending lots of children’s stuff doesn’t guarantee that they’ll use it much
The gearing will be too high, lower it if you can
Brakes that your child can actually work are a good idea.

Don’t ask me how I know these things ... being a parent is tough and littered with hidden hazards.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.