conundrum over new bike

martinn

conundrum over new bike

Post by martinn »

Hi All

i have had much success with Islabikes over the last 10 years, but I have come to a cross roads with the eldest. She has just out grown her Luath 26, saddle is high up, and her position is more aggressive than mine, and she is still hanging off the end of the saddle!
F is 152cm Tall with an inside leg of 75cm, and follows my genetics with a positive ape index, poor Girl.

My plan was to go with a Luath 700 probably large, to get her and at least two of her younger sibling to adult bikes.
BUT the Luath is out of stock at the moment, and has disc brakes. However looking at the general bike world, most bikes seem to being sold with disc brakes, so should she just get used to them now? (I worry about mine, its the only bike that has thrown me (Twice) in the last 10 years due to a braking issue)
Which brings me on to my other thought, what sort of size person do adult bikes fit? should I just bit the bullet and get her an XS size or S size?
This would be her bike she ride to school, so would need to be able to take Mudguards and a rack.
Any comments gratefully received.
(I did think about second hand, and have been looking for a month or so, and seen nothing)
(working out the price re a new bike, actually the Islabikes seem well priced... or have I been looking at too many high end bikes :lol: :lol: )
Regards

Martin
Jdsk

Re: conundrum over new bike

Post by Jdsk »

Preowned Luath 700? Gumtree?

Jonathan
martinn

Post by martinn »

Had been looking on both those, I can see a couple, but I suppose what I was asking really is what age/ size do you simply buy an "adult" bike?

regards

Martin
531colin

Post by 531colin »

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/pages/sizing-advice

Looks to me like "wait a week or two and get a Luath 700 large".
If she has long arms, reach won't be a problem; 1cm is probably within the margin of error for inside leg. Is she a confident rider, or does she like a low saddle to get a foot down easily?
hamster

Post by hamster »

martinn wrote:Had been looking on both those, I can see a couple, but I suppose what I was asking really is what age/ size do you simply buy an "adult" bike?

Another happy Islabike customer here (I think got through 5 over the years with two sons). We switched to adult bikes when they could fit a 14" frame Kona.
pwa

Post by pwa »

531colin wrote:https://www.islabikes.co.uk/pages/sizing-advice

Looks to me like "wait a week or two and get a Luath 700 large".
If she has long arms, reach won't be a problem; 1cm is probably within the margin of error for inside leg. Is she a confident rider, or does she like a low saddle to get a foot down easily?

My wife (at 5' 4") is currently using a Luath 700c frameset (small) that once belonged to our daughter, so the larger frame should last a good long while with a new stem once in a while.
martinn

Post by martinn »

thanks for the replies on this.

Colin 531, My Daughter is very (over) confident rider, even more once she had completed bikeability 2.She is wanting to go back to clipping in (I had her clipped in when we did our tandem rides), so a standard diamond frame is fine for her.

The islabike site indicates a late May delivery for the Luath 700. I am not fully convinced this will be on time, judging by what is happening.
I have seen a couple now on ebay, so will try to get one of those.

thanks

Martin