Getting a bike for my daughter at 13

Ehi

Re: Getting a bike for my daughter at 13

Post by Ehi »

ClappedOut wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 9:05pmfrom Halfords becomes the only choice.
quite an informative post, thank you

which would you go for, if it were your own daughter ?

The halfords at £275 or Aldi at £229 ?

I contacted ALDI and they said it comes out may 16th and I can pre-order. I also watched a review online in Australia and the reviewer like you recommends it, but says to change the seat, pedals and the colour is not durable. Other UK websites recommend the halfords as a budget good bike

Kindly advise

many thanks
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Comparison below
Last edited by ClappedOut on 2 May 2021, 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Ehi wrote: 2 May 2021, 7:59pm
ClappedOut wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 9:05pmfrom Halfords becomes the only choice.
quite an informative post, thank you

which would you go for, if it were your own daughter ?

The halfords at £275 or Aldi at £229 ?

I contacted ALDI and they said it comes out may 16th and I can pre-order. I also watched a review online in Australia and the reviewer like you recommends it, but says to change the seat, pedals and the colour is not durable. Other UK websites recommend the halfords as a budget good bike

Kindly advise

many thanks
The problem with all of this is what works for you as an example a carbon bike would be wasted on me as not athletic and like a supercar in a traffic jam in central London.
I'm faster on a tandem.
So my recommendation is if you have a credit card , buy your purchase on it for section 75 extra protection and pay it off asap so you don't pay interest.

Now we have 2 options:-

Halfords bike has arguably better paint finish and lower spec generally drive. train and brakes- somewhere that actually could fix niggles for you.

Aldi bike questionable finish on previous year reviewed- how indicative this is of 2021 model who knows.
Aldi are either going to fix niggles with Local Bike shop or just refund- worth asking the procedure.

Personally the Aldi bike is my choice if buying for my 13yr old daughter and possibly mum to share as better specs
Reason is I don't need Halfords or Local Bike Shop for maintenance as I have an associate who would look for beer tokens.

You have done your research and the right choice one that suits your needs.
Last edited by ClappedOut on 2 May 2021, 9:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

As a side note the Aldi bike could have clear 3M helicopter tape protection on vunerable area's
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

https://www.ambmag.com.au/gallery/we-te ... 075/page13 most details I could find on Aldi offering.
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

ClappedOut wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:18pm
The problem with all of this is what works for you as an example a carbon bike would be wasted on me as not athletic and like a supercar in a traffic jam in central London.

Halfords bike has arguably better paint finish and lower spec generally drive. train and brakes- somewhere that actually could fix niggles for you.

Personally the Aldi bike is my choice if buying for my 13yr old daughter and possibly mum to share as better specs

I guess its ALDI's then, as I have always said, I am clueless about these issues and just learning the ropes (Hence the silly like questions I ask)
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Ehi wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:57am

I guess its ALDI's then, as I have always said, I am clueless about these issues and just learning the ropes (Hence the silly like questions I ask)
Sounds like a plan, the Aldi bike is excellent value and better components. I don't know if the gov bike voucher scheme still open, but you may find you could use it to have it set up at local bike shop effectively for free- just a thought.
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

I sent my daughter the aldi bike link and saw her yesterday

She said she preferred the halfords bike. Colour being one and she said she doesn't believe aldi would offer after support and is not a bike shop

I have to get her mum a shed. So it would wait till end of the month
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If the shed is to store the bike i recommend adding a security bar below the floor as it's built.

Jonathan
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2021, 9:28am If the shed is to store the bike i recommend adding a security bar below the floor as it's built.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan
How is that built ? Or where do I purchase that?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

This sort of thing, comes in various lengths:

https://www.fencestore.co.uk/bull-stron ... kit-1500mm

(Anchoring in concrete is even better, and this suggestion isn't meant to imply that other precautions aren't sensible and worth it.)

Jonathan

Ehi

Post by Ehi »

I see

Thanks for that. Will add to my expenses

Thank you
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

A length of scaffolding pole/similar could be a lower-cost alternative.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Ehi wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:57am

I'm with your daughter, it's easy to be all pragmatic and forget it's also a,status symbol for them and in the world of thirteen year olds having an aldi bike will leave you open to ridicule.

Ask the kid which bike she wants and then buy it for her

Halford bikes can be excelent, but not when your spending 200 quid, buy her a decent bike for god sake

Remmber the old saying, light,strong, cheap, pick two
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

i took the advice from you guys in this forum and went to 2 bike shops and was super impressed, I am glad I didnt buy the argos, halfords and aldi bikes

The bikes they showed me for the same budget were quite impressive. Which ranged from 325 - 499. Adult mountain bikes, he didnt recommend the hybrids, even though he showed me some. Saying I can lock the shock absorbers and unlock them and easily fold the back seats of my car and chuck them in

I made some videos and sent to my daughter, as most of them were black and one pink, I know she doesnt like pink or black, so waiting for a response.

thank you