Bike carrier recommendations (I have no idea)

Adjunct Satyr

Bike carrier recommendations (I have no idea)

Post by Adjunct Satyr »

I live with my wife and my two teenage sons. We all have bikes. My wife and I are the more keen cyclists but the lads come with us often enough.

I am looking at getting something to fit to my wifes car so we can move the bikes elsewhere and cycle. Not sure if the lads would be keen or not but we would definitely need a rack for two bikes, but would be interested if anyone has used any for four and has any recommendations too.

My wife has a Hyundai iX35 (I have a tiny BMW 1 series which I can barely fit in myself!), which is the car we would be mounting them too. I've attached a model of the same car as a pic. We all have cheapish hybrid bikes. Mine and the lads are around 14kg and my wife's is around 12kg so the two bikes would be 26kg combined and the four combined would be 54kg.

Like I said, preference would be for two but I'd be happy to be pointed at decent ones that could do four.

Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
Hyundai_ix35_(5).jpg
Last edited by Adjunct Satyr on 3 May 2021, 9:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to cycling (March 2021) and enjoying every bit so far!
Jdsk

Re: Bike rack recommendations (I have no idea)

Post by Jdsk »

I suggest looking at the Halfords web pages and then telling us which general type you'd like.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/

Jonathan (our bikes go on Pendle bars which fit the towbar, and our tandems upside down on the roof)

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 21.22.25.png
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Consider changing the title of your OP to bike carriers.

IMO Thule is one of the best makes, but not cheap.

This firm has online guides for specific models of car eg roof bars:

https://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule-roof-bar-guide/c/544
Adjunct Satyr

Post by Adjunct Satyr »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:26pm Consider changing the title of your OP to bike carriers.
Done - thank you.

I suppose it is how easy is to fit ones on the back of the car vs a roof carrier (as in getting them up). I'd want something I could get the bikes onto quickly...

Out of interest... what makes the Thule ones better in your opinion than others? Build quality, safety?
Adjunct Satyr

Post by Adjunct Satyr »

Jdsk wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:23pm Jonathan (our bikes go on Pendle bars which fit the towbar, and our tandems upside down on the roof)
Thanks for that. I accept that I'm being dim here but when you don't have the bikes attached to the car, this comes off right? If so, how much of a faff is it to reinstall each time?
Jdsk

Re: Bike carrier recommendations (I have no idea)

Post by Jdsk »

Getting them up on the roof isn't difficult once you've got everything set up. On our Espaces I stood on a removed seat and sometimes a small folding stepladder. And then you can open the rear door etc.

Putting them on a rack on a towbar or similar is quick and involves less lifting. We chose the sort that comes apart so that it lives in the boot without taking up much space.

I'd happily fit Thule kit.

But I'd also happily fit Halfords own brand, and it's cheaper.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Adjunct Satyr wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:31pm
Jdsk wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:23pm ... our bikes go on Pendle bars which fit the towbar, and our tandems upside down on the roof
Thanks for that. I accept that I'm being dim here but when you don't have the bikes attached to the car, this comes off right? If so, how much of a faff is it to reinstall each time?
This sort of thing, although is much older. The towbar stays on the car and the two vertical bars slot into it. Very quick to fit, under a minute. Then the bikes go on, then the number plate thing with the lights, then it's all strapped down.

https://pbr.co.uk/products/hang-on-towbar-rack

Jonathan

Last edited by Jdsk on 3 May 2021, 9:42pm, edited 3 times in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've got a Thule roof one (mounts onto their roof bars.) It has an arm to hold the bike upright but I feel happier running a pair of straps to each side as well. Easy and quick to load bike on/off and seems to drive fine.

You'd need two for two bikes.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/r ... e-_-598001

There are different versions but I got the one above (but in all black) and I'm happy and if buying again would buy the same. Some other versions are "fork mount" which I guess means you take the front wheel off ...

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My only experience is of roof-mounted ones. Thule stuff is rock-solid IME, it's updated to take account of innovations in bike design and it works. I don't know if they do fitting kits for every model of car but they cover most - and do so properly.

Thule also do various models to fit on tow balls etc.

Hanging off the back will generally be quicker and cheaper but I've no experience.
Adjunct Satyr

Post by Adjunct Satyr »

Aha... makes sense. Just went to check on the drive... the missus car doesn't have a tow bar so that style is a no. Thank you though!
Adjunct Satyr

Post by Adjunct Satyr »

Thanks for that guys... will take a look at the Thule one for a roof version.

Anyone else got experience of the ones that look like they hang of the back of the tailgate by straps (I know it will not be as simple as that!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've used one of those but it was a very long time ago. On a Spitfire. The hooks chipped the paint.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you have anything mounted on the back, you are into the world of lights, numberplates and side projection, as well as the obvious requirement in every case for the load to be secure. If lights and/or plates are not obscured all OK, otherwise you are looking at some sort of lighting board. Side projection must not exceed a foot in the old money. (Always assuming you want to be legit.)
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

It looks like the car has roof rails, so roof bars and bike racks would seem an easier option if the car doesn't have a tow bar.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I use a Saris Gran Fondo - not cheap (well quite expensive really) but very very good. Big plus's for me are that it doesn't obscure the number plate or lights, thus avoiding a light board and associated electrics (not that that seems to bother the majority who use racks) and it will take a carbon bike with no danger of damage to the frame. Oh, and it looks very TDF, but that's an aside.