9 year old son comfort

ClappedOut

9 year old son comfort

Post by ClappedOut »

Having a smaller child's saddle has helped and he refuses cycling shorts- the obvious solution.

I'm happy after 26miles on a brooks saddle and normal clothing, in my ignorance I'm uncertain other choices as he doesn't want to wear a nappy as he puts it or anything revealing for obvious reasons.

Are there any discrete decathlon or similar MTB or BMX products?

Thanks
foxyrider

Re: 9 year old son comfort

Post by foxyrider »

check out Polaris kids range
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
L+1

Post by L+1 »

If your lad isn’t keen on padded shorts or a padded liner, make sure his normal briefs have as few seams as possible. It’s surprising how brands differ - better quality brands e.g M and S are often much better constructed than supermarket own brands. Have a check and suggest he puts them on inside out to get the seams/overlocker thread off his skin.
Maybe buy him a couple of pairs of ‘seamless’ briefs just for cycling?
Check his trousers too for hard seams.
If you have anyone in your household who can do novice dressmaking, it’s easy to make simple ‘board shorts’ with an extra gusset, moving the crotch seams and giving a smoother seating area.
I think from your other posts you’ve increased your distance substantially too.....maybe he needs a more gentle build up?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

L+1 wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 10:39am If your lad isn’t keen on padded shorts or a padded liner, make sure his normal briefs have as few seams as possible. It’s surprising how brands differ - better quality brands e.g M and S are often much better constructed than supermarket own brands. Have a check and suggest he puts them on inside out to get the seams/overlocker thread off his skin.
Maybe buy him a couple of pairs of ‘seamless’ briefs just for cycling?
Check his trousers too for hard seams.
If you have anyone in your household who can do novice dressmaking, it’s easy to make simple ‘board shorts’ with an extra gusset, moving the crotch seams and giving a smoother seating area.
I think from your other posts you’ve increased your distance substantially too.....maybe he needs a more gentle build up?
Fair points granny in family quite handy with a sewing machine - will ask if they modify a couple of pairs.
Yes your correct more than double the prior distance, assumed on a tandem he would manage as not solo pedalling.

We have an event in a field about 15 miles round trip so can experiment then perhaps.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

The MTB shorts that are baggy but have padded inserts might suit.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

prestavalve wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 3:34pm The MTB shorts that are baggy but have padded inserts might suit.
I'm wondering if a trip to sports direct for look at what is on offer will persuade him, I had hoped he would get excited and want to be "Cool"
(well vastly more than his dad) :D shown him some options and think a bit of time he will go for MTB shorts