New Bike

Flux

New Bike

Post by Flux »

Hello,

I am in my 30s and need to get myself a bike for riding with my family on trails and parks and also just to get a little more healthier.
I don’t want to spend to much and not into full competition mountain biking.

I have narrowed down three bikes but really undecided which, my fear would be wear and tear on parts replacement (stock parts and not a mod style bike).

Decathlon
ST 530 (maybe overkill?)
ST 120

Carrera
Hellcat 2020

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
mattsccm

Re: New Bike

Post by mattsccm »

a) Which ever you can actually get may be the first thing to consider. Also delivery dates. Can be a long times and I know Halfords are stupidly optimistic.
b)The 530 has marginally better spec but all them are somewhat vague in excatly which each part is. Don't worry about the 530 having a lesser known brand of gears etc. At this level it is all much of a muchness and peanuts to replace where damaged.
c) Few people have anything good to say about Halfords standards of assembly etc. Of course that is not to say Decathlon are better but my impression of the store from one or two visits is that the staff do seem to have some knowledge.
Go and sit on one. If you can't don't buy unless you are desperate or are so damn sure that looking doesn't matter.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I still feel the best all round versatile bike that is very comfortable and very low maintenance is the Carrera Subway at Halfords. Most people like bikes with front suspension in the showroom but when they have to cycle the extra 1.5kg up the hill or service them because of water ingress past the seals they are not so keen. I'd always ask the question do you need front suspension and unless you are going off-road onto mountain bike trails you don't.

Looking at the Carrera Hellcat it has ok front suspension and drivetrain but the ST 530 seems to have a much inferior drivetrain and forks and the ST 120 is slightly worse again. Both the Decathlon bikes would really need replacement forks before they could be used as proper mountain bikes and the Hellcat only scrapes in as just about a proper mountain bike for new riders. Are you going to be a mountain bike rider or will you be just on the roads and a bit of gravel etc. Generally the Subway is the best option for a versatile all round bike that is very low maintenance.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

As an addendum to the above - lockable front suspension is a good compromise.

I ride mainly on roads so I normally have it locked out, but stretches of the South Lincs highways are in a shocking state of repair so it's nice to have the option of front suspension when I need it. And I do quite like having teeth.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

An addendum to the addendum... lock-out is good, but it's only available on relatively more expensive forks, and the fork still weighs more and has more to go wrong. For a general-purpose bike at the relatively low cost end of the market I think suspension is generally a mis-feature. As a Moulton owner I know that suspension done well is great... but you do have to pay for it if it's done well.

In practice, the modern fatter tyres (say, 40mm, nothing too extreme) that will fit most unsuspened hybrids will give you all the suspension that's needed most of the time.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...