My 3 year old

Gee

My 3 year old

Post by Gee »

Hi have a 3 year 9ld granddaughter who I’d like to take out to see TGO. She is about 17kgs and just over a metre tall and growing fast!!

Am I better with a child seat, trailer or a tag along. I’m thinking a tag along might help with balance and pedalling for when she gets going on her own but she might not be quite grown up enough for one.
Jdsk

Re: My 3 year old

Post by Jdsk »

We've had most of these as our children grew up, and are now going through the same with grandchildren.

At 3 I'd try a trailer.

Would a tandem be possible after that?

Jonathan

Some recent excellent discussions:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=130079
viewtopic.php?p=1349644#p1349644
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

We had our son on a Tag from about 3 1/2. With no problems. He’s 20 now and wipes the floor with me when we sprint.
NUKe

Post by pjclinch »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 7:29pm We've had most of these as our children grew up, and are now going through the same with grandchildren.

At 3 I'd try a trailer.

Would a tandem be possible after that?
For the Tandem, something like a Circe Helios is generally reckoned good for sproggen and the stoker seat can be replaced by a cargo bay so you'll have a useful freighter when the wee one's not about.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If the Original Poster reappears we could discuss the sequence of modifications that lets a child ride the back of a tandem from 3y old to adulthood....

Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 9:18am If the Original Poster reappears we could discuss the sequence of modifications that lets a child ride the back of a tandem from 3y old to adulthood....

Jonathan
Yes - the Circe Helios mentioned above plus a set of crank shorteners! That's all. Probably a suspension seatpost too once there is sufficient exposed seatpost. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

RickH wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 9:56am
Jdsk wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 9:18am If the Original Poster reappears we could discuss the sequence of modifications that lets a child ride the back of a tandem from 3y old to adulthood....
Yes - the Circe Helios mentioned above plus a set of crank shorteners! That's all. Probably a suspension seatpost too once there is sufficient exposed seatpost.
Ours go:
• Straight bar for the feet and no pedals (but only used this once)
• Kiddy crank, seat then goes progressively up, until...
• Crank shorteners, with the seat right down, and then it goes up, until...
• Crank shorteners removed
• Would you like to ride at the front?

: - )

Jonathan