Electric bike battery

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Davewm5

Electric bike battery

Postby Davewm5 » 10 Oct 2017, 5:46pm

Hi I'm a newbie to this site.

I used to do quite a bit of cycling but after a knee operation followed by an operation on my spine I was not able to do this very well anymore.

I tried an electric bike that a friend had and found I was able to manage really well. This bike had been bought new a couple of years before but due to ill health my friend was unable to ride it.

I've bought the bike and have been reasonably pleased with it, however I'm now having some battery problems.

The battery is a 36 volt 16 amp liFe PO 4. After charging this until the green light comes on I checked the output voltage and it's only reading 21.9 volts.

Thanks for sticking with me this far. Does this mean the battery will need to be replaced soon. I've a suspicion that the battery was not being kept charged whilst the bike was not being used.

Any thoughts/comments would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

David

mjr

Re: Electric bike battery

Postby mjr » 11 Oct 2017, 12:31pm

Davewm5 wrote:The battery is a 36 volt 16 amp liFe PO 4. After charging this until the green light comes on I checked the output voltage and it's only reading 21.9 volts.

What's the bike and what's the green light meant to signify? Ready to use or fully charged? Is there any range/power-remaining display on the bike?

If the green light means fully charged, it does sound like the battery is very degraded and may not be useful much longer, but someone more experienced with e-bike batteries may think different.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Davewm5

Postby Davewm5 » 11 Oct 2017, 10:31pm

Thanks for your reply, MJR.

The green light signifies that the battery is fully charged. There's no range read out on the display.

I'm inclined to agree with you that the battery may be on the way out.

Thanks once again for your answer.

jk49

Postby jk49 » 13 Oct 2017, 2:32pm

Maybe try the pedelecs forum. There are some very knowledgeable (about ebike stuff) contributors over there.

georgew

Postby georgew » 14 Oct 2017, 2:15pm

jk49 wrote:Maybe try the pedelecs forum. There are some very knowledgeable (about ebike stuff) contributors over there.

+1

There are some very knowledgeable people on that forum and they are very helpful with problems such as the OP poses.

Return to “Electric bikes”