Anybody bought an Orbea Gain ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Kahu

Anybody bought an Orbea Gain ?

Postby Kahu » 18 Sep 2020, 5:08pm

I'm thinking about getting one of these, just looking for a bit more info, owners experiences that sort of thing ....

Jdsk

Re: Anybody bought an Orbea Gain ?

Postby Jdsk » 18 Sep 2020, 5:12pm

A member of my family has an Orbea Gain D20 and I've taken it round the block after he rode it from east London to Oxfordshire.

Lovely, and he'd happily buy one again.

Jonathan

bikerider

Postby bikerider » 20 Sep 2020, 5:47pm

I suffered from hill climbing ability failure eighteen months ago. My wife suddenly became a lot faster than me up any kind of hill or slope
to the point of spoiling our rides.  After a little research I went to the e-bike shop at Farnham.  At the time the choice was any colour (choice
of four), frame size, ali or carbon and groupset.  I then went and had lunch locally to await the phone call to collect.  It took two hours.
I don't suppose they can obtain that amount of stock choice at present.
My choice was carbon frame and 105 groupset.  The bike was everything I hoped for.  I only ever use the lowest power setting.  It's
enough to help me up the hills and keep up.  When it cuts out at 15mph you are rolling fast enough not to notice the extra weight when
pedalling and it's a bonus downhill.  The bike does not work without my effort and I still go home worn out.
First time I've had hydraulic brakes.  They are as good or better than brakes on any other bike I have owned.
The bike rides and corners as well as you would expect from any decent frame/wheel combination.
I can do 50 miles with some hills without using the last 20% battery life.
When testing the fast speed it went up a decent hill in the big ring comfortably.
I don't use it on every ride but have done just under 2000 miles trouble free.
I am very happy with the bike and have no regrets with my choice. 

NickWi

Postby NickWi » 21 Sep 2020, 8:48pm

As of early Sept '20, 63 pages worth of light reading!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/

richtea99

Postby richtea99 » 25 Sep 2020, 10:26pm

I have a D50 which is the most basic drop handlebar Gain.

I'm very happy with it, and I'd definitely recommend it.
It gives you the option to either tackle different routes, longer routes, or just potter if you don't feel like going for it that day.

Pros:
- well-made even though it's the base model
- tidy understated battery and motor design
- light for an electric bike (only 2-3Kgs more than my steel tourer)
- I barely need to use it, but when I do it's nearly always in 'Easy' mode (level 1 of 3)
- with light use it does 70+ miles
- has mudguard and pannier mounting holes
- you definitely still get a workout - it's not a free ride. I like that
- in level 3 it gets me up hills I couldn't even climb 20 years ago. Progress. :)

Cons:
- the wheelset isn't as good as I would hope for. I'm a heavy rider (18st) so it's likely to be my fault, not Orbeas. I had them rebuilt before I got any trouble
- you have to charge indoors if it's sub-zero (batteries don't like it)

We also have a Boardman electric bike with the Fazua system in the family, which is a close competitor. I'd say it's a slightly better design (mid-motor), but then again you have to pay more for Fazua-powered bikes.

Both the Gain and the Boardman are perfectly usable - I'd be very happy with either.

If you've got specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.