Ebike riding calories burned?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
al_yrpal

Ebike riding calories burned?

Postby al_yrpal » 21 Feb 2021, 11:19am

I am trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment and am using the app My Fitness Pal which helped me lose 48lbs a few years ago. I always reckoned that an hours energetic cycling would burn 500 to 600 calories but now I mostly ride an electric bike I am looking for a new good rule of thumb? I do keep to the lower assistance levels Eco and Tour except on really steep gradients which make up only 10% of the hills around here.

I came across various estimates and reckon I probably burn about 50 percent on the Ebike... ie 250 to 300 calories per hour.

Whats your guess?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

PH

Re: Ebike riding calories burned?

Postby PH » 21 Feb 2021, 11:33am

I haven't seen any of the guides, but I'd expect it to me more than your estimate.
For me - walking at an easy pace where I'm never short of breath is around 300 calories an hour, cycling at a steady pace around 600. Assisted cycling is going to be somewhere between those, depending on the level.

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 21 Feb 2021, 11:33am

500-600 calories per hour seems a lot. Would that be sprinting or hill climbing?

I have estimated that on a standard bike I use 30 calories per mile with a further 30 calories for every 100' of ascent (17 mile with 1,000' ascent would equal 810 calories and that would take me about 2 hours, so 400 per hour-ish )

I have no idea how much an e-bike helps

PH

Postby PH » 21 Feb 2021, 11:41am

Pebble wrote:500-600 calories per hour seems a lot. Would that be sprinting or hill climbing?

Using this suggests it's in the right ball park, though age and weight makes a difference. This for me it estimates 650 cal an hour at 12 - 14mph
https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587

I use a heart rate monitor, which is a reasonable measure of exertion, taking it really easy I can get down to around 400 and If I push hard or do intervals it's closer to 1,100 calories and hour (Though I can rarely keep that up for an hour)

Xbigman

Postby Xbigman » 21 Feb 2021, 12:09pm

What power settings you use is another big factor. If you want a really vague rule of thumb I'd say it's 40% of normal cycling calories burned on the max power settings and 65% on the minimum setting. Adjust accordingly on the intermediate settings depending how many there are.

However, if we are talking weight loss and calories you are better off ignoring exercise calories and just living to a sensible daily calorie limit (about 2500 men and 2100 women) and the exercise is a bonus. I limit myself to 2500 but I include a couple of oat bars each day (128 each) in my meal plan so that I have something to munch whilst riding. Once a ride goes over 30 miles I take something more substantial to eat, like a pasty, but I count it as part of the 2500 daily limit.

Darren

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 21 Feb 2021, 12:13pm

PH wrote:
Pebble wrote:500-600 calories per hour seems a lot. Would that be sprinting or hill climbing?

Using this suggests it's in the right ball park, though age and weight makes a difference. This for me it estimates 650 cal an hour at 12 - 14mph
https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587

I use a heart rate monitor, which is a reasonable measure of exertion, taking it really easy I can get down to around 400 and If I push hard or do intervals it's closer to 1,100 calories and hour (Though I can rarely keep that up for an hour)

Interesting site thanks.

I wish it included ascent for the walking and cycling, it makes a very big difference to how tiring a route will be.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 21 Feb 2021, 1:39pm

Xbigman wrote:What power settings you use is another big factor. If you want a really vague rule of thumb I'd say it's 40% of normal cycling calories burned on the max power settings and 65% on the minimum setting. Adjust accordingly on the intermediate settings depending how many there are.

However, if we are talking weight loss and calories you are better off ignoring exercise calories and just living to a sensible daily calorie limit (about 2500 men and 2100 women) and the exercise is a bonus. I limit myself to 2500 but I include a couple of oat bars each day (128 each) in my meal plan so that I have something to munch whilst riding. Once a ride goes over 30 miles I take something more substantial to eat, like a pasty, but I count it as part of the 2500 daily limit.

Darren

As I said I lost 48lbs last time I strictly dieted and exercised with My Fitness Pal. I aimed at 1500 calories per day on food intake and lost 1.4 lbs a week over a period of 9 months. With MFP you can offset your exercise calories against your food intake but normally I dont do that. However, dieting can get boring and there are periods when a little extra food in the form of treats can make the diet bearable. This time my target is at least a stone which should be achievable in 10 weeks.

Thanks for the replys, as has been said somewhere between walking and cycling with a bit of welly!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 21 Feb 2021, 1:55pm

I have estimated that on a standard bike I use 30 calories per mile with a further 30 calories for every 100' of ascent (17 mile with 1,000' ascent would equal 810 calories and that would take me about 2 hours, so 400 per hour-ish )

I have no idea how much an e-bike helps

My normal rides are an hour or two and mostly I give it a bit of welly. There are loads of killer hills in some parts of Devon and Somerset. An Ebike can make your ride very easy indeed.

Al

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 Feb 2021, 3:09pm

250W limit, so that's only going to contribute 1 food-calorie of energy every 16 seconds.

If you ran the motor at max power constantly you would therefore be getting a contribution of 225 Calories/hour.

Adjust according to your actual usage
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 22 Feb 2021, 8:01pm

The power level you use on an ebike is irrelevant to the calories you burn. If you are pedalling like a lunatic up hill on an ebike in eco mode at 15 m.p.h., or putting in the same amount of physical effort but going slower or in a lower gear on a non powered bike you will use the same calories in both cases from the same power input. On the assisted machine you will go faster for the same power input

It's how hard you are working that matters not the assistance you are getting. On my Dawes galaxy I used to average about 10 m.p.h, now I average 14-15m.p.h.with the same effort whilst riding my ebike in eco mode and that provides about 40% assistance, so same difference, give or take.

hjd10

Postby hjd10 » 23 Feb 2021, 11:33pm

saudidave wrote:The power level you use on an ebike is irrelevant to the calories you burn. If you are pedalling like a lunatic up hill on an ebike in eco mode at 15 m.p.h., or putting in the same amount of physical effort but going slower or in a lower gear on a non powered bike you will use the same calories in both cases from the same power input. On the assisted machine you will go faster for the same power input

It's how hard you are working that matters not the assistance you are getting. On my Dawes galaxy I used to average about 10 m.p.h, now I average 14-15m.p.h.with the same effort whilst riding my ebike in eco mode and that provides about 40% assistance, so same difference, give or take.

I have found similarities with my E-bike riding, I put in the same effort but go faster. A good way to work out the calories is to use a heart rate monitor. Mine seems to work well and wasn't expensive, I use a MyZone but there are loads of others available. :wink:
I know that calories used and different heart monitors are very subjective but as an aid to my riding, I do like having the feedback.