Negative comments

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Oldjohnw

Re: Negative comments

Post by Oldjohnw »

Audax67 wrote: 4 May 2021, 10:55am
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am My bike, when loaded for touring, is not easily identifiable as an ebike because it has a retro fitted hub motor and the batter is on the rear rack, which is hidden by the panniers.
Which motor? I'm half thinking of motorizing my old Ti warhorse, because my coronary arteries are dodgy and so are a few other bits. I was looking at electric road bikes but they all seemed to be aimed at superannuated boy racers who'd sneer at the idea of luggage. Trek Domane might be OK but my wallet wouldn't. Scrub that: they all have disc brakes so (a) my dynamo wheels wouldn't work and (b) there's no brake-bolt hole through the fork crown to mount my lights. Where were these people brought up?

This: https://electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/

Probably not the best and some might think “cheap Chinese import”. But it has worked for me. I still have to put in a reasonable amount of effort.
John
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

To the OP's question, I would simply respond to the person who calls the e bike user a cheat "who am I cheating? I'm not in a race or competition with anyone. "
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Littgull wrote: 6 May 2021, 8:33am To the OP's question, I would simply respond to the person who calls the e bike user a cheat "who am I cheating? I'm not in a race or competition with anyone. "

I am not troubled by the charge and have plenty or responses. I was interested in the extent to which it happened. As I indicated, it has only happened once, apart from on these pages.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've spent a couple of days, since this topic was posted, trying to think of what could be 'wrong' with a typical - or indeed any - ebike. I can't think of anything much...
I used to ride motorbikes. I had a ton of them - lucky me! At one time my main ride was a 500cc Sunbeam. I got used to people telling me all about my Sunbeam, which I had rebuilt myself down to, literally, the last nut & bolt. People would tell me, in great detail, how it was 2000cc, how it had a reverse gear, how Americans cops used them, etc. etc. etc. None of these "facts" were true. But those people never considered that they might be wrong or that I, as the owner, might know better... people are like that. I'm used to that now.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As my opening post stated, most comments are positive. Most people are interested and supportive.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

markjohnobrien wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:27am
Bonefishblues wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:23am
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am Anyone ever get negative comments above their ebike?

I have only had one - apart from on these pages. Most people are interested and think it a great idea to keep me in the saddle and admire me doing me tours. Only one accused me of being a cheat.

My bike, when loaded for touring, is not easily identifiable as an ebike because it has a retro fitted hub motor and the batter is on the rear rack, which is hidden by the panniers.
That's the saddest thing :cry:
I agree: cycling is good and e-bikes are brilliant for enabling or assisting people to cycle and, hopefully, prolonging the cycling hobby.

When I’m older, I’ll definitely get an e-bike!
+1
I am here. Where are you?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Given the choice of not riding, or riding an ebike which are you going to choose.
If the former, I would think you are biting your nose off to spite your face.
Beauty will save the world.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:03pm Given the choice of not riding, or riding an ebike which are you going to choose.
I dont see any difference in chosing to ride an Ebike as your physical strength and endurance declines compared with choosing an electric golf buggy or similar. You continue to enjoy your hobby despite your condition.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willcee

Post by willcee »

interesting contri's.. myself however, haven't as yet had much in the way of derogatory remarks addressed going back to 2017 when I started with the E stuff and that in a enviroment over here where they were to all intents illegal.. when the legality issue disappeared some time ago there was certainly more E stuff on the move and other cyclists would stop when at a cafe halt and poke around looking and marvelling at the beasts.. usually asking, can I lift it? hefting it and commenting on the weight to which either me or my chum say you don't notice the weight except when stopping or starting or lifting it over kerbs or steps.. on the move its no issue.. some have come to my workshop for a test ride and come back beaming all over, and its by word of mouth that I get builds to complete or to source donor chassis for the job..my own story is that I went this route to say aboard when my hips went bad and again to keep me on the road when recovering from the ops 14 months apart...its addictive.. and fun..both of mine are mudguarded the more potent one is for winter and blowy dry days and my latest an Mahle x35 powered hub in a Whyte frameset is more akin to a normal machine and should get some good miles in this summer.. weather permitting , and coldest spring I ever cycled in to date...will
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I've had several comments about being too easy, or why don't you try it the hard way. However, the thing about those who made the comments, they did not take the same route I rode, where I was doing a 800 m climb. So, I guess, they took the easy way.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I used to see ebikes as the 'lazy' persons cycling but advancing years and weaker legs have changed my view.
If you can and want to ride without battery assistance then I can't see you being derided by ebike users for doing so. Why should it be OK to do so the other way around.
Outwardly healthy people may need a little help on a bike, or they just like their ebike.
Selfishly I find that places I ride and never saw another cyclist are now much more popular with other cyclists.
I remind myself it's better bikes than cars. :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I Norway, e-bikes are replacing cars, rather than non-assisted bikes. The same appears to be happening elsewhere.

I think that's fantastic. And I honestly don't care if the same people *could* ride a non-assisted bike in the same way. They didn't.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote: 6 May 2021, 3:05pm
Vetus Ossa wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:03pm Given the choice of not riding, or riding an ebike which are you going to choose.
I dont see any difference in chosing to ride an Ebike as your physical strength and endurance declines compared with choosing an electric golf buggy or similar. You continue to enjoy your hobby despite your condition.

Al
And importantly, I think, enables a good range to be maintained, as opposed to an ever-decreasing ride radius.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Assisted cycling enables not just tourers and road to maintain their hobby, but it is brilliant for utility cycling.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 7 May 2021, 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Negative comments are based on pure ignorance. Normally from people who don't even cycle themselves. The word 'cheating' was made to me the other day when my wife and I turned up for afternoon tea in the garden of some friends. When the host went to move my ebike away from the door and mentioned it was heavier than normal I said it was an ebike. ''Ah you're cheating are you? '' Should I say something or not?. No . Who the blazes cares?
I have asked someone in the past if they boil a kettle over an open fire to make a cup of tea when faced with a similar comment??
There are some even on this forum who display this level of unmitigated ignorance too don't you know???