Electric conversion kit.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
[XAP]Bob

Electric conversion kit.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

New job possibly looming. Commute a little further than I'm used to - nothing I couldn't cycle, but I'd like to trim the time down a little by adding an electronic stoker...

Thinking about a front wheel conversion for the back of the raptobike.. disc brake compatible.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
neilob

Re: Electric conversion kit.

Post by neilob »

I fitted a mid drive (bottom bracket) motor to my wife's bike. Dead easy to install and avoids having to change wheels. You have to lose the small chainring but with 350w on tap you wouldnt use it anyway! Pm if you want details. Cost complete was £500.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Guessing that it won't fit a sclumpf hsd though ;)

Technically 350W isn't road legal either...
I am considering a B version for the trike though. Which did you get?
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 22 Nov 2016, 9:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Please elaborate, I want one for er indoors so she can keep up :mrgreen:
I gather that the battery is the biggest cost :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

For 'her indoors' I'd suggest that a front wheel conversion (£400 with a 7-10Ah 36V battery) is probably easier.

Not got either yet though...
neilob

Post by neilob »

Au contraire....mid drive kits are so much easier to install. I got mine from Electric Bike Conversions in Stevenage. Around £500 inc 14ah battery good for 80km. Four of our older clubmates have the same kit. You just need a 'clean' BB shell.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd have thought that was more work than replacing wheel...
neilob

Post by neilob »

But it isnt just replacing a wheel! The wiring is more complex, you need torque brackets which may require drilling the fork, its very bad news when you puncture, and handling is worse. In my opinion (please note!!) mid drive is much more elegant and reliable. But good luck with whatever you choose.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Sorry, being picky here. What do you mean by a Clean bottom bracket.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Somewhat different on a 'bent though...

On the raptobike the rear wheel is non steering, and completely non complex.
On the trike the rear wheel already has a hub gear and derailleur, so a motor won't be much tougher to mess about with than the hub..

Still trying to work out why the wiring might be more complex...
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 24 Nov 2016, 8:06am, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My Lady has a legacy of scar tissue caused by ulcers in the bone marrow of her ankles as a teenager.
She can walk, climb mountains, but has great difficulty cycling.
She has a new hybrid from Edinburgh Cycles (Sheffield ?? Lol), but is worried about cycling more than a few miles.
I think her hybrid fitted with a motor would give her the confidence to ride and possibly move on to non motorised cycling.
So I'm looking for a simple motor and battery installation that can be de-modified easily if confidence in peddling is regained and long term use if not.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
georgew

Post by georgew »

The best place to look for informed advice is this forum.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/

The people on there do really know their stuff and are usually happy to be of help.
Good luck.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

georgew wrote:The best place to look for informed advice is this forum.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/

The people on there do really know their stuff and are usually happy to be of help.
Good luck.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads ... kit.26118/

Good to see that some of the kits I'm looking at come recommended.

Due to time constraints I've put down for a rear wheel for the trike, and am therefore* considering moving the Schlumpf HSD from the rapto to the trike, and putting a double on the rapto - it will reduce the top end somewhat, but I was rarely in the top end of the gear range anyway, and a 53t big ring should mean I'm in that gear almost all the time... I just have the remember to change down as I stop (and allow myself a bit more freewheeling down hills).

The trike is clearly the vehicle for winter commuting - I have a full set of studded tyres if the weather actually turns nasty this winter (it hasn't since I've had the complete set, but then I'm back to more rural roads)

*Just realised that this won't be an obvious move...
The trike currently has an 81 gear train - 3*9*3(in the hub) Those three in the hub make a real difference to the overall range. With the battery I'd not be concerned about the bottom end that much, so doubling my bottom end from <10"to <20" isn't an issue. But losing 30% off the top end (from a 48+30% chainring/hub combination to just 48) will be.
The HSD is a 30/75 chainring, so I'd actually increase my top gear, albeit at the expense of the ultraslow gears I have fitted for doing things like towing children up walls (my kids tend to ride themselves now).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Got sent a freewheel based rear wheel, despite the text saying cassette.

Fortunately the company has been excellent. Posted the wheel back, they should have it turned around within a week...
andrewcruzeman

Re: RE: Re: Electric conversion kit.

Post by andrewcruzeman »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Got sent a freewheel based rear wheel, despite the text saying cassette.

Fortunately the company has been excellent. Posted the wheel back, they should have it turned around within a week...

I followed this thread with interest, I also want to convert, can I ask which kit brand you bought in the end and why did you decide rear wheel over front wheel.