Electric bike for not-too-keen wife

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Annoying Twit

Re: Electric bike for not-too-keen wife

Post by Annoying Twit »

[XAP]Bob wrote:You can choose to have pedal assist on a conversion - I didn't because I know what my requirements are in terms of assistance...

It sounds like quite a bit of work to add the pedal assist too. What sort of sensors can be installed?

The basic conversion of adding a motorised hub, a battery, and a potentiometer sounds quite easy.

I'm not doubting that it can be done; I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to do the conversion to a reasonably fully featured electric bike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Annoying Twit wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:You can choose to have pedal assist on a conversion - I didn't because I know what my requirements are in terms of assistance...

It sounds like quite a bit of work to add the pedal assist too. What sort of sensors can be installed?

The basic conversion of adding a motorised hub, a battery, and a potentiometer sounds quite easy.

I'm not doubting that it can be done; I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to do the conversion to a reasonably fully featured electric bike.

It's easy - IF you have a square taper bottom bracket...
There is a magnet ring which comes in two parts and clips together around the ST, then a sensor (much the same as a speedo sensor) is placed inboard, to detect cadence (but with a low angle required before detection)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Just noticed this thread - become a convert to ebikes and coversions myself. Pros and cons with everything you choose - I bought a BH Neo city ebike originally, Dutch style, very comfortable, fairly 'solid'. Moved on to conversions, having already got decent tourers. Finally bought full suss mtbs and converted them, now got the best of all worlds, relatively light, super comfortable and great assist.
Don't know what other options are available, but, I've always used kits from Cyclotricity, front and rear so have tried all combinations, can highly recommend them.
Finally, for the op, my neighbour, watching me do one of my conversions, said that he would suggest one for his wife, who had a nice bike, but, had lost confidence and was struggling. He fitted one for her, didn't have a problem - she is 'over the moon', absolutely loves her cycling now!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I would suggest looking at a Cube. They have a good range of bikes including step throughs and use the well proven Bosch drive system. The motor is in the bottom bracket area and the wheels therefore have an element of interchangeability, although this may be limited by the fact that the front wheel in many road models is fitted with a dynamo. They also have a fair few dealers.

The one disadvantage of the Cubes is that in several of their road models, the battery is located as part of the rear rack, putting the weight up high.

I have a Kalkoff which I am very pleased with. The battery is lower down and I get greater mileage from the Kalkoff than from my Cube, which admittedly is an MTB and therefore running tyres which probably don't run as easily.

I have had no problems with either make and enjoy riding them both. I think it really comes down to which bikes are available from your lbs.
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Cube offer good value for money that is for sure. The components might not necessarily be top notch, but the build quality and frame finish is very good. There are currently some good offers out there on them, but you do have to watch things when making comparisons. Things like the Active Line motor fitted to certain eMTB's along with a 400wh battery, when other makes are offering the Performance Line and CX with 500wh battery.
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the Active line motor, and consider it a very worthy and pleasant motor for road use, but is does struggle to degree in an off road situation where you might want to be making steep climbs.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Just noticed this thread - become a convert to ebikes and coversions myself. Pros and cons with everything you choose - I bought a BH Neo city ebike originally, Dutch style, very comfortable, fairly 'solid'. Moved on to conversions, having already got decent tourers. Finally bought full suss mtbs and converted them, now got the best of all worlds, relatively light, super comfortable and great assist.
Don't know what other options are available, but, I've always used kits from Cyclotricity, front and rear so have tried all combinations, can highly recommend them.
Finally, for the op, my neighbour, watching me do one of my conversions, said that he would suggest one for his wife, who had a nice bike, but, had lost confidence and was struggling. He fitted one for her, didn't have a problem - she is 'over the moon', absolutely loves her cycling now!

Due to knee problems (another story) I am considering converting my TREK 830 with a Cyclotricity kit and would be interested in your experience?
+ in particular:

- I'd like to use it for touring and am concerned about range with a loaded bike - the 11aH fits nicely into a rear rack but would the 15aH be better?
- For convenience and, if necessary, the ease to swap out the wheel, I would prefer the front hub conversion - any thoughts e.g. does it still pull OK under load?
- Battery life and charging time?

Thanks
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Not sure how I can answer these questions, as there are so many variables - rider/bike/load etc weight

We started with front wheel kits on Thorn Raven tours, as they had Rholhoff rear gears

11ah carrier batteries, Schwalbe marathon plus tyres at a reasonable pressure. We reckon to get 50-60 miles on average terrain

Second kits were 15h rear wheel kits on Giant Stance full suss mtbs

Increased power and battery to counteract 'draggier' bikes, Maxxis chunky tyres and full suss suck up a lot of energy

Can get the same sort of range as with the others

If I had to choose I'd go for the Giants - super comfortable with plenty of assist if you need it

Hope this helps
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks Phil, personal experience is always helpful.

Is that range indicated loaded or unloaded?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Averaged out between the both of us - me 14st, wife 10st, normally not loaded up, but, occasional pannier with small amount of shopping! I'm probably erring on the cautious side, as my wife thinks the figures she gets are higher. As I said originally, so many variables - probably why even the manufacturers only give very vague figures
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

We got a ladies Raleigh Captus and have no complaints about it. Good build quality. Quite heavy but you don't notice when it's rolling. Only an issue if you need to transport it I guess.
I second the 'try a hire bike or two first' idea.
digbyblack

Post by digbyblack »

If you're still looking, Emu Bikes offer free trials of their ebikes. They got a few affiliate shops around the UK where you can try them: https://www.emubikes.com/try-an-emu/demonstration-sites
james01

Post by james01 »

Thanks. And yes, still looking! Still a bit wary about which bike to choose. Have just found out that Halfords also do free half hour test rides, most bigger branches have test machines ready on a turn-up-and-go basis so we'll be giving them a try.
james01

Post by james01 »

Took the plunge and ended up with Carrera Crossfire E from local Halfords, partly because of lure of nearby after-sales service but also good reviews.
Very pleased, my wife can now accompany me on longer hilly rides and I make her carry all the luggage! Some notes about the Carrera which may be of interest:
Quieter than expected.
Rear hub motor effectively freewheels when not powering. This means that if you're stuck with a flat battery you can still pedal home (8 speed megarange) with weight as the only real penalty.
The geometry of the bike (Ladies 18"), and the long seatpost supplied, means that I can ride it comfortably even though I'm 8 inches taller than my wife. I reckon it just about accommodates riders from 5ft 0in to 6ft 2in at a pinch.
Mini USB port useful for mobile phone/ satnav charging.
Not impressed with the clunky front suspension, would much prefer a rigid chromoly fork.
Would prefer V-brakes to the hydraulic discs supplied.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Did you consider the 20" folder, the £650 Carrera Crosscity E? Normal V-brakes, mudguards and significantly less money.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Been very pleased with my Emu pedelec which is now two years old.
Well equipped & with a range of 30 miles or so depending upon hills etc.
They now have a bigger capacity battery available which extends range significantly.