Electric bike for not-too-keen wife

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
james01

Re: Electric bike for not-too-keen wife

Post by james01 »

james01 wrote:Took the plunge and ended up with Carrera Crossfire E from local Halfords, partly because of lure of nearby after-sales service but also good reviews.
Very pleased, my wife can now accompany me on longer hilly rides and I make her carry all the luggage! Some notes about the Carrera which may be of interest:
Quieter than expected.
Rear hub motor effectively freewheels when not powering. This means that if you're stuck with a flat battery you can still pedal home (8 speed megarange) with weight as the only real penalty.
The geometry of the bike (Ladies 18"), and the long seatpost supplied, means that I can ride it comfortably even though I'm 8 inches taller than my wife. I reckon it just about accommodates riders from 5ft 0in to 6ft 2in at a pinch.
Mini USB port useful for mobile phone/ satnav charging.
Not impressed with the clunky front suspension, would much prefer a rigid chromoly fork.
Would prefer V-brakes to the hydraulic discs supplied.

Review after nearly 3 years and 2,800 miles:
Still very pleased. Wife uses it selectively. Depending on hilliness and/or length of journey she still often uses her non-electric bike, hence the moderate mileage. I use it rarely, if running late, or not feeling 100%.
Safe battery range in the hilly terrain around us (we have plenty of 1 in 5 hills) is about 35 miles. No sign of battery deterioration yet. Used all year round in foullest of weathers. Hub motor has been unintentionally immersed in flood waters twice with no apparent ill-effects.
Still suffers very occasionally from the well-documented power outage. Simply resolved by turning battery back on.
My comments about suspension fork and discs still apply :evil:
james01

Re: Electric bike for not-too-keen wife

Post by james01 »

Review of Carrera Crossfire after 4 years/ 4,100 miles:

Still very satisfied. Bike still used in foullest of weather. Still cuts out very occasionally, simply switch back on.
Just replaced the chain and cassette for the first time. Easy job, cassette is bog-standard Shimano 8 speed.
Front chainwheel seems OK, just as well as I've no idea how to source a new one.