Electric Trikes

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Nestor

Electric Trikes

Post by Nestor »

Hi - does anyone have any advice or info on buying an electric trike (as mobility for elderly lady). Pedelec ideally.

thanks
Whippet

Re: Electric Trikes

Post by Whippet »

A start Nestor ( this is Kevin Hurley by the way)

http://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cyclin ... ted-cycles
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

You need to decide if you want an upright or recumbent trike.

If it's just to the shops and back then an upright trike will do, cheaper and less storage room needed.

If it's for more serious cycling the a recumbent trike is probably better as they are easier to ride and put less strain on the body (mainly arms, back and seat) but they do cost more and take up more storage room.

The only recumbent electric trikes I've seen while on tour on the continent are the Kettwiesel's but ICE trikes also does them.
I've tried an electric ICE trike at their factory in Falmouth, it was fun ...... :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - that one is rather good. Mine has a rear wheel motor at the moment...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

An elderly lady near me has electric assist on a Pashley style shopper trike. Hers is an after market conversion. She gets around quite a bit with it. My only comment is that utility trikes tend to be heavy, around 30kg, plus of course the electric assist. Consequently I always ask people to consider any access and man handling issues before buying anything. I know for certain that a local lady bought a utility small wheeler without considering that she lived in a third floor flat - she sold the trike very quickly.